GENUKI Home page








Section Index




 Previous part


Next part



Robinson's Guide to Richmond (1833)

Part 17

Egglestone Abbey

A little to the west of Rokeby, are the ruins of EGGLESTONE ABBEY a small monastic house, inhabited formerly by Praemonstratensian Canons. The date of its foundation is uncertain, but the lancet shape of some of the windows, carries the erection of the existing building as far back as the middle of the thirteenth century, and it is said to have been founded by one of the Multon family, in the reign of Henry II. The church, is in a very ruinous condition, but some of the domestic offices have been fitted up as cottages, and are now inhabited. At the foot of the eminence on which the ruins stand, is the boisterous stream, the noise of which will have attracted the stranger's attention.

     "Where Tees, full many a fathom low, 
     Wears with his rage no common foe
     For pebbly bank, nor sand-bed here, 
     For clay mound checks his fierce career, 
     Condemned to mine a channelled way, 
     O'er solid sheets of marble grey."

This marble is the material of the font in Richmond church, above noticed, and also of the font at Barnard Castle.

Next Next Part

Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Lucie Hinson.

This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2015