Genuki Logo

Yorkshire

Richmond
 

Previous
 

Next
 

Section Index

 Yorkshire

 Richmond
 

 Previous part
 

Next part
 

  Guide
Contents

Robinson's Guide to Richmond (1833)


Part 5

The Free Grammar School.

Erected by the burgesses of Richmond, and endowed with the lands which belonged to numerous obits, chantrys, &c., with which the town abounded, during the prevalence of the Romish religion. It is scarce necessary to mention that the school has flourished for many years under the mastership of the Rev. James Tate, whose pupils have long been notorious at Cambridge for their wrangling propensities. On his recent appointment to the dignity of Canon residentiary, of St. Paul's, his son, Mr. James Tate, was unanimously elected as his successor.

At a little distance to the left, is the National School, where two hundred and twenty boys and girls receive a useful and religious education.

To the right, on the opposite side of the river stand the humble and scattered remains of the MONASTERY OF ST. MARTINS:

Next Next Part


Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Lucie Hinson.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014