Area, 5,820 acres. Holderness wapentake, N.D. -Population, 726 *1; Church-room, 500; Net value, £96. -An ancient Rectory, of the patronage of the Gousles, knights ; whilst it continued so, the Rector had also a Vicar under him to serve the Cure. The old ordination was made 10th Kal., April 1227. In 1309, this Church was appropriated to the Abbey of Meaux, and a new Vicarage ordained therein, 2nd March in that year, and a further ordination was made on the 3rd April 1310.
This was one of the Advowsons given by King Henry VIII. to the see of York in exchange ; and the Archbishop is still the patron and impropriator.
A payment of £10 per annum was made by the Archbishop's lessee, which Archbishop Sharp raised to £15 per annum.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £24. 13s. 4d.; Vicaria ejusdem, £4. 13s. 4d.; in the King's books, the Vicarage is valued at £9. 16s., after deducting for Synodals 4s.; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. pages 18 (Rectory), and 276 (Vicarage), it is stated : " The Rectory belongs to the Archbishop. £10 paid by the impropriator ;" -and in 1818, at £52 per annum.
Augmented in 1718, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from the Archbishop of York ; and in 1808, with £200; and in 1821, with £1,000 from the Parliamentary grant -both by lot.
Inclosure Acts were passed 2nd Geo. III. (Dringhoe, Upton, and Brough), and 4th Geo. III.
The lord of the manor is said to have formerly exercised the right of granting probates and letters of administration.
No glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1720. -Vide earlier transcripts at York.
Parochial Charities. -No return.
Post town: Driffield.
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 1399. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 183. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Dringolme), pages 177; (Up-tun), 177; (Ulreham), 180. Mon. Angl., vol. v. pages 389. 396. 398. Burton's Monasticon, p. 240. Excursions from Bridlington, p. 16.
*1 Viz. Bonwick, 22; Dringhoe, Upton, and Brough, 152 ; Skipsea, 386; and Ulrome, 166. -Ulrome Chapelry extends into Barmston parish, but is wholly entered here. -In 1834, the population was returned at 677.