Area, 1,080 acres. Langbarugh liberty *1, E.D. -Population, 276 *2; Chapel-room, 200; Net value, £87. -This is a Chapel, in the parish of Whitby, built before 1170, and given therewith to the Abbey there. In ruins in the time of Archbishop Sharp, but rebuilt in the year 1732, when Mrs. Noble endowed it with £10 per annum, and had the patronage in consequence thereof.
Present patroness, Mrs. R. Boulby.
A gallery was erected in the Chapel in 1752, by Mr. Mark Noble.
Valued in 1818, at £45 per annum.
Augmented in 1768, with £200 -by lot ; in 1771, with £200, to meet benefaction of lands worth £200 from Mr. M. Noble's trustees ; and in 1775, with £200; and in 1824, with £200 -both by lot.
The glebe house was returned in 1818 as unfit for residence, " being old and very bad."
Double fees are always paid for churchings and christenings.
Register Books. -No return ;- vide Whitby.
Tabitha Bower's charity, vide Eskdaleside. £10. 10s. per annum is distributed among the poor of this township. -Vide 7th Report, page 757.
Post town: Whitby.
Not noticed in Torre's MS. Charlton's Whitby, pages 70. 172. 318-335. Young's Whitby, pages 377. 655. 818. Bawdwen's Domesday Book, pages 21. 68. 115.
*1 The township is partly in Middleton parish. (not true! Wrong Aislaby. C.H.)
*2 In 1834, the Population of the Chapelry was returned at 340. 25 men are employed in stone quarries.
ESKDALE CHAPEL. -ST. JOHNS. -(Parish of Whitby .) -This was a Chapel in the parish of Whitby, and was given to the Abbey there. -Now disused, vide Sleights.
The patronage was in the Archbishop of York, but in 1767 the patronage was transferred to Mr. Bower, in perpetuity, in consideration of an augmentation of the Curacy, vide Sleights.