GENUKI Home page    Allerston Allerston  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: ALLERSTON.     Church dedication: ST. JOHN.     Church type: Peculiar. Vicarage.

Area, 9,110 acres. Pickering Lythe wapentake. -Population, 385; Church-room, 240; Net value, vide Ebberston. -At the time of the Domesday Survey, Allerston was held by Gospatric as tenant to the Conqueror. He had three carucates to be taxed-land to two ploughs, value 20s.

" The Church of Allerston," says Mr. Torre, " is appendant to the mother Church of Pickering, arid, being joined with Ebberston, makes one and the same Vicarage, and is in the patronage of the Dean of York."

The Vicarage of Ebberston with Allerston was augmented in 1821, with 400; and in 1826, with 200, both from the Parliamentary Grant, -by lot.

An Inclosure Act was passed 49th Geo.

No glebe house.

The Register Books commence in 1680.

Parochial Charities. -No return.

Post town: Pickering.


References:
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 753. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 108. Burton's Monasticon (possessions of Yeddingham Nunnery), page 298. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Alurestan), page 21. Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 372.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014