Area, 10,250 acres. Bulmer wapentake *1. - Population, 1,552 *2; Church-room, 850 *3; Net value, £415.
In Alne, St. Peter had six carucates of land at the time of the Survey, waste.
In Aldwark, Ligulf had one manor of eight carucates : it was then waste.
Throlthorpe was of the Soke of Helperby.
Tollerton. -One carucate and a half belonged to the Soke of Foston, held of Earl Allan. Gamel held one carucate of Berenger de Todeni.
Youlton. -This belonged to the Soke of Helperby.
The Church was an ancient Rectory, belonging to the patronage of the Treasurer of the Cathedral of York, to whom it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein, 2nd January 1311, and an augmentation was made 9th November 1394. The Treasurer was lord of Alne, and had jurisdiction, as well spiritual *4 as temporal, of the whole town, and the towns within its parish. After the Dissolution, the patronage came to the Falconbergh family.
Present patron and impropriator, Sir C. B. Codrington, bart.
Valued in the King's books, at £10 per annum.
The Vicar was entitled to eight loads of wood out of the wood of Alne or Tollerton, to be delivered by the bailiff of the manor, and to have his swine, in time of maste, pannage free.
4th December, 40th Henry III., the King granted to the Treasurer and his successors, that they should have for ever, at their manor of Tollerton, a yearly fair for three days, viz., on the vigil, day, and morrow after the Feast of the Assumption of St. Mary. -Torre's MS., page 577.
Inclosure Acts were passed 39th and 40th Geo. III. (Throlthorpe and Flawith), and 47th and 50th Geo. III. (Tollerton).
A brief was granted in 1766 for this Church.
The glebe house was returned in 1818 as fit for residence ; but in 1834, returned, no glebe.
The Register Books commence in 1561. Some chasms. -Vide transcripts in the Peculiar Registry.
John Pearson's charity, by deeds, dated 3rd and 4th June 1695. Rent of 28A. 3r. 30r. of land, let, at the time of the Report, for £32 per annum, for the poor of the several and respective townships of Tollerton, Alue, Flawith, Tholthorpe, Aldwork, and Youlton, and distributed by the churchwardens and overseers of the poor of such respective townships at Martinmas and May-day, with the sacrament-money and the produce of other charity estates and funds.
Unknown charity. This consists of a rent charge of £2 per annum out of land at Youlton, the property of Edward Strangways, Esq., and distributed at Christmas among poor persons of the different townships.
John Wade's charity, by will, date not given. Rent of 11a. of land, let, at the time of the Report, for £7. 10s. per annum, for bread, distributed in the Church weekly to poor persons of each of the townships.
Poor's Land. This consists of 1a. 2r. of land, allotted to the poor on the inclosure of Alne town fields, and the rent thereof (£2 per annum) distributed among poor persons of Alne.
John Plummer's and Robert Dobson's doles, by wills, dates not given. Rents-charge of £1 per annum each, for the poor of Alne township.
Poor's Money. This consists of the sums of £20 and 101., given by persons unknown, and the interest thereof (£1. 9s. per annum) is distributed, with the doles, among poor persons of the township. -Vide 8th Report, page 706.
Post town: Easingwold.
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 571. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 165. Nonae Rolls, page 242. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Alne), pages 51 ; (Adewera), 76; (Turulfestorp), 51 ; (Torentun), 118. 121.157; (Loletune, Luctone), 51. 76.
*1 All the townships, except Youlton, are partly is the liberty of St. Peter of York.
*2 Viz. Aldwork, 190; Alne, 415;, Flawith, 94; Tholthorpe, 265; Tollerton, 529; and Youlton, 59. -In 1834, the population was returned at 1,350.
*3 In 1818, the Church-room was returned " between 200 and 300."
*4 In the Landsdowne Catalogue of MSS. in the British Museum, page 223, is the following entry: "Transcripts of several wills proved at Alne in 1552, fo. 130-(a fragment)."