GENUKI Home page    Ampleforth Ampleforth  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: AMPLEFORTH.     Church dedication: ST. HILDA.     Church type: Peculiar. Discharged Vicarage.

Area, 2,270 acres. Birdforth and Rydall wapentakes *1. -Population, 623 *2; Church-room, 300; Net value, 261. -Ulf, the Saxon, had one manor here. The Archbishop eight acres of meadow, wood, and pasture, half a mile in length and the same in breadth. Copsi, the Saxon, had one carucate, it belonged to Hugh, the son of Balderic. -Domesday Book.

In Ampleford are four carucates and six oxgangs of land geldable, (whereof twelve carucates make one knight's fee); which were held of the fee of Robert de Ros, which Clarkenwell and Nicholas de Barton held of Robert de Ros as he held them of the King in capite.

But more particularly in the town of Ampleford is one carucate and one bovate of land, (whereof eight carucates make a knight's fee); of which Walter de London held half a carucate of Robert Fitzwilliam, and be of the Abbot of Byland.

And Galfred Attebek held one carucate of the said Abbot.

And the Abbot held one oxgang of land of John de Clarkenwell, and he of Robert de Ros, and he of Roger de Mowbray.

Likewise there are in both towns three more carucates of land not geldable, held of the Liberty of St. Peter, of York, where the Prebendary hath his dominical manor, a wood in a certain field called Le Lodge, an assart, a biscary, mill, pasture bondsmen, grassmen, cottagers, and certain lands, particularly specified by Mr. Torre ; and jurisdiction in all causes spiritual, and over eighteen tenants of the Abbot of Byland in Ampleford. -Kirkby's Inquest.

The Abbey of Sinningthwaite had possessions in Ampleford, for which see Burton's Monasticon.

The Church was an ancient Rectory, belonging to the Prebendary of Ampleford, in the Cathedral Church of York, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein, in 1304.

Patron and impropriator, the Prebendary of Ampleford.

In the King's Books, the Vicarage is valued at 4. 6s. 4d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, at 10 per annum.

On the 22nd July 1805, a faculty was granted to repew the Church.

Inclosure Acts were passed 44th and 46th Geo. III.

The glebe house is unfit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1646. Chasm 1692-1752. -Vide transcripts in the Prebendal Registry at York.

Charities:
Sir Richard Vaughan's gift. rent charge of 40s. a year for the poor.

John Sturdy's gift. Interest of two-thirds of 100 for the poor.

Dorothy Comber's gift. Interest of a moiety of 160 three per cents.

Poor's Houses and Lands. Two cottages. and 4a. 3r. 20p. of land, the rent of which is distributed among poor widows. -Vide 11th Report, page 774.

Post town: Helmsley.


References:
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 617. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 104. Nonae Rolls, page 242. Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. pages 152, 153. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Ambre-forde), pages 49, 50. 196. Burton's Monasticon, page 329. Eastmead's Rievallensis, page 233. Notitia Parochialis, No. 1054.


Notes:
*1 This parish is partly in Birdforth wapentake, and partly in the liberty of St. Peter, but mostly in Rydall wapentake, where the whole is entered. No regular schedule of Population was returned by that part of the parish which is within the liberty of St. Peter.

*2 Viz. Ampleford, 432 ; and Oswaldkirk Quarter, 191. In 1834, the Population of the parish was returned at only 432.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014