Birdforth wapentake. -Population, 35, vide Coxwold *1; Church-room, 120; Net value, £94. -This is a Chapel in the parish of Coxwold, which does not appear to be very ancient, but having been augmented by Queen Anne's Bounty, it is now become a Benefice. It still contributes to the repairs of Coxwold Church.
Patron, the Archbishop of York. Impropriators, Trinity College, Cambridge.
Valued in 1707, at £6. 6s. 2d.; and in 1818, at £84 per annum.
Augmented in 1739, with £200; in 1775, with £200; in 1787, with £200; and in. 1792, with £200 -all by lot.
No glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1616.
The Rev. William Whyte-head's charity, by will, in 1813. Rent of 1a. of land, let, at the time of the Report, for £1. 5s. per annum, for the schoolmaster of Thormanby, for teaching two poor children of Birdforth to read ; if not two at Birdforth, then one from Thormanby ; and books to be provided for the children when there if sufficient money in hand. -Vide 8th Report, page 705.
Post town: Easingwold.
Not noticed by Torre. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 45. Jefferson's Thirsk, page 98.
*1 Returned at 52, in 1834.