Genuki Logo    Birkby Birkby  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: BIRKBY.     Church dedication: ST. PETER.     Church type: Peculiar. Discharged Rectory.

Area, 3,400 acres. Allertonshire wapentake." -Population, 275 *1; Church-room, 100; Net value, 172. -This Church is an ancient Rectory, in the patronage of the Bishops of Durham.

Mr. Torre gives a catalogue of the Rectors.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at 23. 6s. 8d.; Nova Tax, 5; and in the King's books, at 6. 13s. 4d. per annum.

There was an unreported decree in the Exchequer, in Easter Term, 1st Jac. II. *2

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1721. -Vide earlier transcripts at Durham.

Parochial Charities. -No return.

Post town: Northallerton.


References:
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 1317. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 126. Nonae Rolls, page 241.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Birkby, 96 ; Hutton Bonville, 112 ; and Little Smeaton, 67. -In 1834, the Population, exclusive of Hutton Bonville, was returned at 163.

*2 " The tenants of the manor of Hutton Bon-vile are to pay to the Rector of Birkby 20s. on St. Mark's day, or a gelding's gate, or a mare's gate, from May-day to Michaelmas, at the election of the Rector, and 40s. on St. Matthew's day, yearly, in lieu of all tithes arising within the said manor. - Murthwaite v. Pierce." -1 Wood, page 234.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014