Genuki Logo    Catterick Catterick  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: BOLTON UPON SWALE.     Church dedication: ST. MARY.

Area, 500 acres. Gilling East wapentake. -Population, 963 ; Church-room, No return ; Net value, 118.

Patron, the Vicar of Catterick.

There is no glebe house.

The Register Books commence in 1659.

Charities:
Scorton School. Founded by Leo Robinson, Esq., by will, 10th March 1720. 20 per annum to be paid to the Curate, for a sermon every Sunday afternoon and on every holiday ; and 10 per annum for apprenticing boys. Residue of income for freely instructing all such boys as shall be sent, in the Latin or Greek tongues. Endowment ; rent of 130A. 3a. 27p. of land, and dividends on 350 three per cent. consols. About twelve scholars, who pay for all instruction except Latin. A few poor boys are taught reading and writing. Income; about 200 per annum.

Duffield and Bruce's rents-charge. 4 and 2 a year.

William Brown's rent charge, by deed, 1695. 2. 8s. per annum. -Vide 6th Report, page 606.


References:
Not noticed by Torre. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Bodeltune), pages 39, &c. Mon. Angl., vol. iii. page 532. Whitaker's Richmondshire, vol. ii. page 25.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014