Area, 9,820 acres. Bulmer and Birdforth wapentakes. -Population, 1,375 *2; Church-room, 300 *3; Net value, £445. -At Bossall, at the time of the Domesday Survey, there was a Church and a priest.
The Church was anciently a Rectory of the patronage of the Bossalls, knights, and from them of the Erghams, knights, and a Vicarage was ordained therein, in 1229 ; but on 4th August 1387, Pope Urban VI. appropriated this Church to Durham College, Oxford ; and on the 18th Kal., February 1229, a Vicarage was ordained.
Patrons and impropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Durham.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £40; Nova Tax, £20; Vicaria ejusdem, £23. 6s. 8d.; Nova Tax, £8; and in the King's books, at £12 per annum.
20th August 1805, a faculty was granted to reduce the length of the Church fifteen feet, and to make certain alterations therein.
An Act was passed 15th Geo. III. for exchange of Vicarage lands.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1610. Some chasms.
TOWNSHIP OF HARTON. -Poor's Money. This consists of a benefaction of £20, formerly given for the poor of Harton, but has been lately applied towards the expense of erecting a messuage or building on the Waste, for the reception of paupers of that township. -The Commissioners reported, that an entry had been made in the township book, and that 20s. per annum was charged thereon, which was distributed by the overseers at Whitsuntide to the poor, at their discretion. -Vide 8th Report, page 708.
Post address, Lobster House.
Torre's MS., page 419. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 16. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Boscele), pages 201; (Butecrame), 201; (Claxtorp), 25. 75 ; (Flaxtune), 26. 49. 118. 201; (Hottone), 201. Nonae Rolls, page 235. Gentleman's Magazine, vol. xciii. pages 305. 489 (Belt Family). Mon. Ang., vol. iv. page 676.
*1 St. Botolph was the founder of the Monastery of Icanhoc, or Ycanno, A.D. 624, and was either buried there, or at Thorney Abbey.
*2 Viz. Bossall, 76; Buttercrambe, 176; Claxton, 163; Flaxton on the Moor, 355 ; and Sand Hutton, 605. -Flaxton is partly in the liberty of St. Peter of York.
*3 In 1818, the Church-room was returned at 976.