Area, 4,860 acres. Bulmer and Hallikeld wapentakes. -Population, 872 *1; Church-room, 664 *2; Net value, £307. -In Brafferton, at the time of the Conqueror's Survey, there was a Church and a priest.
The town of Brafferton was held of the family de Riparia, who held it of Roger de Mowbray, and he of the King in capite.
This Church, endowed with one carucate of land, was an ancient Rectory, belonging to the patronage of the de Riparia, till it was given by Henry de Riparia to the Priory and Convent of Newburgh, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein, 3rd Non., Julij 1311. At the Dissolution, the patronage came to the Crown, and King Henry VIII. gave the Rectory and Advowson to the See of York, in exchange; but in 1728 the patronage was transferred to the Crown, in exchange for the Vicarage of Bishopthorpe, by Act of Parliament, 2nd Geo. II.
Impropriator, the Archbishop of York. The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £20; Nova Tax, £10; also see Nonae Rolls, page 236 ; in the King's books, the Vicarage is valued at £9. 14:. 6d., after deducting for Synodals and Procurations, 8s. 6d.; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 68 (Rectory), it is stated : " Belongs to the Archbishop of York ;" -and in 1818, at £79. 10s. per annum.
On the 4th Id. March, A.D. 1336, the Rectory and Vicarage were consolidated, and the union was confirmed 15th October, A.D. 1365 ; but on the 14th October, A.D. 1446, the Church was again appropriated to the Prior and Convent of Newburgh, and a Vicarage ordained. By the endowment, the impropriator is bound to pay 26s. 8d. per annum to the poor.
Augmented in 1802, with £200, by lot.
An Inclosure Act was passed 49th Geo. III. (Helperby.)
The township of Thornton Bridge is connected with the parish of Cundall *3.
For the manor, rentals, &c., see Lambeth MS., Nos. 1097, 1098. Mr. Hargrove gives the armorial bearings in the Church windows.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1798, the previous ones having been destroyed by fire. -Vide transcripts at York.
PARISH OF BRAFFERTON WITH HELPERBY. -Poor's Land. This estate comprises 9a. 2r. of land, let, at the time of the Report, for £20 per ann. and purchased, in 1789, with £232. 15s. belonging to the poor of the parish, of which £100, part thereof, appears, by an entry in an ancient parish book, to have been given by Mrs. Mary Frewin Turner, by will (date not given), and the residue was ancient parish stock, whereof £105 belonged to the poor of Brafferton and Helperby jointly, and £26. 17s. 6d. to the poor of Helperby alone, and distributed, £2. 63. 2d. to the poor of Helperby, and £9. 2s. to those of Brafferton and Helperby, and £8. 11s. 10d. amongst those of the whole parish, on account of Mrs. Frewin Turner's legacy.
Fund from the Sale of Timber. This consists of £65, raised, a few years preceding the Report, by the sale of timber on this estate, and the interest (£3. 5s. per annum) distributed to the poor of Brafferton.
rent charges. These consist of two sums of 10s. each per annum - one Glauber's charity, and the other unknown-and distributed, with the above rent and £8. 11s. 10d. (the proportion from the poor's land), to the poor not receiving parochial relief, in sums from 6s. to 10s., and sometimes £1.
Dibble's charity for Education, by will, dated 3rd September 1723. rent charge of £2 per annum, for and applied in aid of a National School Establishment, for the education of children of Brafferton and Helperby ; which the Commissioners reported was further supported by voluntary subscriptions, and was in a flourishing condition.
Payment from Great Tithes. This consists of the sum of £1. 6s. 8d., payable as a rent charge on the great tithes of this parish. -The Commissioners reported, that the money was paid at Christmas by the tenants, and distributed to the poor by the overseers of the poor ; that in 1810, on an inclosure of Helperby, an allotment of land was given in lieu of the tithes for that township, which formed the most considerable proportion of the tithes of the whole parish, and that the payment was thereupon discontinued ; that applications had been made to the lessee for renewal thereof, but without effect; and that they feared the sum was too small to justify resorting to judicial proceedings to enforce the payment thereof. -Vide 8th Report, page 708.
Post town: Boroughbridge.
Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 33. Hargrove's Knaresborough, page 345. Mon. Angl., vol. vi. page 318. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Bradfortune), pages 26. 76. 218; (Helprebi), 51. Burton's Monasticon, page 331. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Helprebi), p. 51.
*1 Viz. Brafferton, 152; Helperby, 673; and Thornton Bridge, 47 Helperby is in the liberty of Saint Peter of York. -ln 1834, the population was returned at 865.
*2 309 additional sittings, of which 306 are free, have been procured, towards which the Society made a grant of 1501. -In 1818, the Church-room was returned at 1,200.
*3 The. township of Helperby is Within the jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of York.
HELPERBY. - Thomas Archbishop of York, temp. William II., gave the town of Helperby to the Canons of the Church of Saint Peter, to be by them enjoyed in common, custom free, as other their lands were.
In 44th Edward III., the Dean and Chapter obtained the King's precept, directed to the Sheriff of Yorkshire, to deliver to them the possession of the manor of Helperby, which Geoffery, late Dean, and his Chapter of York, had granted in tail to Bego, son of Alexander de Bajocis, and which now, for want of heirs of their bodies, according to the entail by law, reverted to them.
Torre states fully the customs of the manor, as confirmed by the Dean and Chapter of York on the 10th April, 24th Eliz.