Area, 2,700 acres. -Bulmer wapentake. -Population, 298 *1; Church-room, 250 *2; Net value, £628. -There was a Church and a priest at Brandsby, at the time of the Norman Survey.
In the towns of Brandsby and Stearsby was one knight's fee, held by Nicholas de Ryper of Roger de Mowbray, who held it of the King in capite.
7th Edw. I., Richard de la River gave to the Monks of Byland free passage through his wood of Brandsby to Skakelden, both to the Monks and their men.
The Church (with one carucate of land belonging to it) is an ancient Rectory, formerly belonging to the patronage of the De Ripias, and from them, about the time of Queen Elizabeth, it came to the Cholmeleys of Brandsby.
Present patron, Francis Cholmeley, Esq.
This Rectory sometime had a Vicar put in by the Rector, who had all the profits, paying the Rector one hundred shillings per annum.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £20; Nova Tax, £9. 6s. 8d.; and in the King's books, at £9. 8s. 10d. per annum. Synodals and Procurations, lls. 6d.
22nd March 1735, licence granted to take away a ruinous cottage belonging to the glebe.
9th July 1788, ditto to take away another small cottage.
1st January 1767, faculty to rebuild the Church, at the expense of Francis Cholmeley, Esq., save £45 to be paid by the parish ; and on the 17th August 1770, the Church was consecrated.
The glebe house, which was rebuilt under a faculty granted 24th October 1806, is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1575.
Lawrence Littlefair's charity, by will (date not, given). rent charge of £2 per annum to the poor at Christmas.
HARDWICK'S AND OTHER BENEFACTIONS. -Anthony Hardwick's charity, by will, dated 24th December 1600. Interest of £40 to poor persons of Brandsby and Steersby, on the 2nd November yearly.
William Hebden's charity, by will, dated 15th February 1699. Interest of £20 to the poor of Brandsby, on Good Friday.
Mrs. Rawdon's and Edward and Mary Bellwood's charities. Interest of £60 to the poor.
The Commissioners reported, that the £40. (Hardwick's charity) was never invested, as directed, in the purchase of land, nor had there been any subsequent appointment of new trustees under either that or Hebden's ; but that the sums, with this £60, were lodged in the hands of Francis Cholmeley, Esq., of Brandsby, who pays the interest, which is distributed, with other monies, at Easter and Christmas, to poor persons, at the discretion of the minister and parish officers. - Vide 9th Report, page 711.
Post town: Easingwold.
Torre's MS., page 449. Nonae Rolls, page 235. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 24. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Branzbi), pages 200; (Estiresbi), 200. Burton's Monasticon, page 331.
*1 Viz. Brandsby with Stearsby. -In 1834, returned at 288.
*2 In 1818, the Church-room was returned at 410.