|Brompton by Sawdon|
Area, 10,180 acres. Pickering Lythe wapentake. -Population, 1,337 *1; Church-room, 400 *2; Net value, £103. -There was a Church and a Priest here at the time of the Domesday Survey.
" This town," says Mr. Hinderwell, " was a residence of the Kings of Northumbria."
The Church was an ancient Rectory, belonging to the patronage of Eustace Fitz John, by whom it was given to the Canons of Old Malton, and appropriated thereto, and a Vicarage ordained 1st March 1518.
Torre gives no information as to the endowment.
A Chantry was founded in this Church by Sir John Moryn, in 1333.
At the Dissolution, the patronage came to the Crown, which presented till the reign of King James I., when the patronage was granted to the Caleys.
Present patron and impropriator, Sir George Caley, Bart.*3
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £53. 6s. 8d.; in the King's Books, the Vicarage is valued at £12; and in 1818, at £31 per annum *4.
Augmented in 1800, with £200; and in 1815, with £1,600, from the Parliamentary grant, -both by lot.
29th May 1735, faculty granted to rebuild the Churchyard wall.
24th November 1743, faculty to alter the Churchyard, and exchange a house belonging to the Vicarage.
13th November 1749, faculty to shorten the chancel of the Church and remove the vestry.
July 1822, an additional burial ground was consecrated.
An Inclosure Act for Brompton was passed 31st Geo. II. *5
No glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1584 ; defective, 1601 to 1609, and 1649 to 1652.
Hannah Wilson's charity, by will, dated 27th December 1754. Interest of £10 to the poor of Swine Brompton.
William Sawdon's charity, by will, in 1745. 6s. a year ; of which 3s. 6d. belongs to the poor of Snainton. -Vide 8th Report, page 753.
Post town: Scarborough.
Torre's MS., page 1356. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 99. Nonae Rolls, page 280. Hinderwell's Scarbrough, page 303. Eastmead's Rievallensis, page 333. Young's Whitby, (Inscription), page 757. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Brunton), page 120; (Snechintune), 16. 121. 173. 218 ; (Trurtal), 21.
*1 Viz. Brompton, 496; Sawdon, 146; Snainton, 636; and Troutsdale, 59. Snainton township extends into Ebberston parish.
*2 In 1818, the Church-room was returned at 690.
*3 Eastmead gives a short account of the Caley family.
*4 "The impropriator is only entitled to a modus of ten pounds a year, in lieu of the great and small tithes arising upon such part of the capital messuage and farm called Foulbridge, as is not situate in the parish of Ebberstone." Caley v. Williamson. -4 Wood, page 3.
*5 But, query what Brompton.