Genuki Logo    Burneston Burneston  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: BURNESTON.     Church dedication: ST. LAMBERT.     Church type: Vicarage in charge.

Area, 6,920 acres. Hallikeld wapentake. Population, 1,430 *1; Church-room, 450; Net value, 546.

Appropriated to St. Mary's Abbey, at York.

Patron, the Duke of Cleveland. Impropriators, the Duke of Cleveland, W. R. L. Serjeantson, Esq., and E. I. Carter, Esq.

Valued in the King's Books, at 37. 6s. 8d. per annum.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1566.

Charities:
School and Almshouse. Founded by Matthew Robinson, in 1688, by deed. There is an almsmaster who has 5. 8s. per annum, for which he is bound to instruct the children of the parish at 2s. a quarter for each child ; six almspeople 6. 6s. per annum each, and gowns and coals. The schoolmaster has 16 per annum, for which he is required to instruct gratis seventeen boys and girls in writing and arithmetic. Endowment; 12a. 0r. 3p. of land, and 43. 5s. rents-charge.

Poor's land. Rent of seven acres, and interest of 100.

Ann Savill's gift, in 1692. Interest of 50; not received for many years.

CARTHORPE QUARTER.

John Gale's rent charge. 4 per annum.

EXILBY, LEEMING, AND NEWTON QUARTER, Ralph Cowley's rent charge, 1670. 4 per annum.

Thomas Isles's dole, 1684. 3 per annum. -Vide 4th Report, page 403.


References:
Torre's MS., page 1539. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Brinnistan), pages 11. 115. Mon. Angl., vol. iii. page 573. Whitaker's Richmondshire, vol. ii. page 125.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Burneston, 342 ; Carthorpe, 304 ; Exelby, Leeming, and Newton, 633 ; Gatenby, 69; Theakstone, 82.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014