Genuki Logo    Carlton in Cleveland Carlton in Cleveland  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: CARLTON IN CLEVELAND.     Church dedication: PATRON SAINT NOT KNOWN.     Church type: Perpetual Curacy.

Area, 830 acres. Langbarugh liberty, W.D. -Population, 256 ; Church-room, 200; Net value, 56. -This is said to have been formerly in the parish of Hutton Rudby, but which is impugned by Mr. Graves. It was given to the Abbey of Whitby, to which it was appropriated.

The patronage was in the Prissicks, and is now in the Reeve family, as lords of the manor.

Present patron and impropriator, C. Reeve, Esq.

Valued in 1716, at 7. 7s. 4d.; and in 1818, at 52. 15s. per annum.

Augmented in 1726, with 200; in 1760, with 200; in 1785, with 200; in 1792, with 200; and in 1825, with 200 -all by lot.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1700: several years are deficient. -Vide transcripts at York.

Mr. Graves gives a view of the Church.

Charities:
Christopher Prissick's charity. rent charge of 50s. per annum, distributed among the poor.

Medd Scarth's charity, by will, dated 14th June 1818, and proved in London. One-fourth part of the dividend on 1,065. 1s. 9d. four per cents., to be distributed by the minister and overseers among the poor. -Vide 7th Report, page 713.

Post town: Stokesley.


References:
Not noticed in Torre's MS. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 133. Graves's Cleveland, page 159. Burton's Monasticon, page 71.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014