GENUKI Home page    Seamer Seamer  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: CAYTON.     Church dedication: ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST.

Area, 2,430 acres. Pickering Lythe wapentake. - Population, 514 *1; Church-room, 250; Net value, vide Seamer. -There is in Cayton a parochial Chapel or Church dependant on the Church of Seamer, by which Vicar it is served in administration of divine offices, burials, christenings, &c. for the towns of Cayton, Kynardby, and Osgodby.

Patron, W. J. Denison, Esq.

Torre gives the monument of Robert Barde, and some armorial coats in the windows.

23rd June 1738, faculty granted for erecting a gallery.

No return as to glebe house.

The Register Books commence in 1684.

Charity:
Elisha Trott's rent charge, by will, dated 11th August 1697. rent charge of 20s. a year to the poor. -Vide 7th Report, page 736.

Post town: Hunmanby.


References:
Torre's MS., page 893. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Chetune, or Caitune), pages 17, 21.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Cayton, Deepdale, and Hillaby, 449; and Osgodby, 65.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014