Area, 2,100 acres. Birdforth wapentake. -Population, 185; Church-room, 140; Net value, £63.
The patronage, in 1718, was in Mr. Clark, of Haxby ; in 1750, in H. Freeman, Esq.; in 1756, in Edward Lister, of Bedale ; in 1805, in Thomas Duncombe, of Grimston, Esq.
Present patron, T. Duncombe, Esq.
The living was valued in 1707, at £8. 13s. 4d.; and in 1818, at £53. 5s. per annum.
Augmented in 1737, with £200; in 1754, with £200; in 1788, with £200; in 1792, with £200; and in 1827, with £200 -all by lot.
The Lord of the manor, which is coextensive with the parish, claims the right, in certain cases, of granting probates of wills and letters of administration, but in all other respects the parish is within the ordinary jurisdiction of the Archbishop of York, having ceased to be a donative *2.
An Inclosure Act was passed 29th Geo. III.
No glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1596; several extensive chasms. -But vide transcripts at York.
The only charitable fund in this parish consists of the sum of £18, amount of different benefactions, the interest of which is distributed in small sums. -Vide 4th Report, page 393.
Post town: Helmsley.
Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 102.
*1 Archdeacon Todd says this parish is alleged to be in the Diocese of Chester, and a peculiar, but which he justly doubts. The parish is not noticed by Mr. Torre.
*2 At the time of the return in 1829, seven original wills were in the custody of the steward, and also a register containing the copies of those wills. The steward also stated that he found, on his entrance into office, a similar register containing the copies of fifteen wills proved between the years 1746 and 1788, in which last year the manor was purchased by the late C. S. Duncombe, Esq., but the originals do not appear to have been delivered up at that time, nor were they, at the time of the return, in the possession of W. Gray, Esq., the steward.