Area, 1,220 acres. Birdforth wapentake. -Population, 89 *2; Church-room, 70 *3; Net value, £146. -This Church is an ancient Rectory, formerly belonging to the patronage of the Folliots, afterwards of the Burghs, first those of Colthorpe, then those of Cowsby ; from them it came to the Palmers, who last presented in 1665. In 1716, Lord Crewe presented, and in 1733, the Alstons, of Odell, baronets, first presented.
Present patron, G. Lloyd, Esq.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £5; Nova Tax, £2; in the King's books, at £5. 11s.; and in 1818, at £65 per annum.
The glebe house is unfit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1679.
The Almshouse, appropriated to the use of four poor persons, tenants of the lord of the manor. The almspeople are usually chosen by the churchwardens, and they receive a rent charge of £10 out of certain farms. The origin of the charity seems to be unknown. -Vide 13th Report, page 617.
Post town: Thirsk.
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 1329. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 128. Nonae Rolls, page 241.
*1 Archbishop Sharp appeared to doubt whether this actually be a Peculiar.
*2 Kepwick is partly in Cowsby parish, and partly in Leak parish. -In 1834, the Population was returned at 86.
*3 Estimated in 1818 at 90.