Area, 3,710 acres. Bulmer wapentake. - Population, 573 *2; Church-room, 300; Net value, £180. -Crambe was, before the Conquest, part of the possessions of Earl Waltheof, and there was then one priest and a Church. Also at that time there was a Church and a priest at Kirkham.
The Church was an ancient Rectory, till it was given to the Prior and Convent of Kirkham, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein.
At the Dissolution, the patronage came to the Crown, and the Rectory and Advowson were given by King Henry VIII. to the see of York, in exchange, and the Archbishops of York have presented ever since.
Torre does not give the ordination of the Vicarage. The first Vicar named in his catalogue was instituted in 1321.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £40; Nova Tax, £6. 13s. 4d.; Vicaria ejusdem, £10; Nova Tax, £4; in the King's books, at 91 *3; Synodals and Procurations, 16s. 6d; and in 1818, at £127. 12s. 4d. per annum.
16th December 1821, faculty granted to re-pew the Church.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1710. -Vide earlier transcripts at York.
Poor's Money. This consists of the sum of £17, formerly given by a person or persons named Surr, and the interest, 15s. per annum, is distributed by the overseers of the poor at Christmas to such poor people as they consider most in need. -The Commissioners reported, that there appeared to be no existing security for the principal money. -Vide 8th Report, page 711.
Post town: Whitwell.
Torre's MS., page 435. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 20. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Bartune), pages 75 ; (Cranbone), 25. 75. 235 ; Witeuella), 75; (Chicheham, Chercan), 40. 83. 84. Nonae Rolls, page 235. Mon. Angl., vol. vi. pages 207-210. Burton's Monasticon, page 374. Gent's Ripon (Kirkham). Gentleman's Magazine, vol. lxxxv. page 202.
*1 Otherwise Cramborn, or Crambone.
*2 Viz. Barton-le-Willows, 202; Crambe, 144; and Whitwell-on-the-Hill, 227.
*3 The Valor Ecc. specifies tithes, glebe land, and mansion. -Page 100, col. 2.
KIRKHAM PRIORY OF AUSTIN CANONS, founded A.D. 1121, by Sir Walter Espec and Adeline his wife.
The Parliamentary Commissioners, in vol. xvii. pages 118 and 427, report as follows :-" Kirkham, a hamlet, fit to be united to the Chapel of Howsham, and it made a parish Church. There is an old Church at Kirkham, but no preaching minister, only a reader, to whom Sir William Vaughan giveth yearly £7. 13s."