Area, 2,460 acres. Langbarugh liberty, W.D. Population, 304 *2; Church-room, 170 *3; Net value, £205. -This Church is an ancient Rectory, and was given by William de Percy to the Priory of Guisbrough, which was confirmed by Peter, son of Peter de Brus, but it was never appropriated.
Patronesses, the Misses Cockayne. Mr. Graves gives a catalogue of the Rectors.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £10. 13s. 4d. Nova Tax, £5, and in the King's Books at £10. 11s. 10½d. per annum, Synodals 4s., Procurations 7s. 6d., and pension to the prior of Guisbrough 6s. 8d.
" Crathorne is a Rectory, and the advowson belongs to Thomas Crathorne, Esq." Notitia Parochialis, No. 1461 *4.
Mr. Graves gives the pedigree of the Crathornes.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1723. -Vide earlier transcripts at York.
Thomas Baxter's charity, by will, dated 1st November 1769. Interest of £74. 4s. 8½d. (originally £100 but reduced by insolvency of the person in whose hands it was placed), for teaching poor children whose parents do not rent £5 per annum. -Vide 7th Report, page 714.
Post town: Yarm.
Torre's MS., page 29. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. Nonae Rolls, page 232. Ashmoleian MSS., Bodleian Library, No. 7063. Graves's Cleveland, page 103. Burton's Monasticon, pages 282. 343.
*1 From crake, a crow, and thorne, a crow is the crest of the Crathorne family.
*2 In 1834, the Population was returned at 330.
*3 Estimated in 1818 at 200.
*4 The Valor Eccl. specifies tithes, mansion, and glebe land, page 89, col. 1.