GENUKI Home page    Middleton Middleton  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: CROPTON.     Church dedication: CHAPEL.

Area, vide Middleton. Pickering Lythe wapentake. -Population, vide Middleton ; Church-room, 150; Net value, vide Middleton.

The patronage of this Chapel is in the Robinson family. It was sold by the Crown, after endowing it with 5 per annum. It is now in the same patronage as Middleton.

On the 27th June 1760, a faculty was granted by the Vicar General to inter the dead in the Chapel and Chapel yard.

An Inclosure Act was passed 5th Geo. III.

No return as to glebe house.

The Register Books for baptisms and burials, commence in 1771 ; and for marriages, in 1754. -Vide transcripts of earlier Registers at York.

Charities:
The Charity Land, 9a. 2r. The rent, together with the interest of 14, arising from the sale of wood, is distributed annually among the poor not receiving parochial relief.

Poor's Money. 10, said to have been given by a person or persons named Ellis. The interest is distributed as above.

The School. Origin unknown. Endowment ; two-thirds of a close at Wrelton, and twelve acres of land at Cropton -twelve free scholars in reading, writing, arithmetic, and the Church Catechism. -Vide 7th Report, page 741.

Post town: Pickering.


References:
Not noticed by Torre. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 97. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Croptune), page 22. Eastmead's Rievallensis, page 282.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014