Area, 1,480 acres. Bulmer wapentake. Population, 155 *1 ; Church-room, 160; Net value, £240. -In the town of Dalby were three carucates of land, granted by Berenger de Todenay to the Abbey of Saint Mary's, York.
The Church is an ancient Rectory, formerly belonging to the patronage of the Flamvills, till Elias de Flamvill released to Simon, Abbot of St. Mary's, York, the Advowson of the Church, together with all his land in the town, his mill, and suit thereunto.
Patronesses, the daughters of the Rev. B. Lumley.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £10; Nova Tax, £1. 10s.; and in the King's books, at £5. 1s. per annum ; Synodals and Procurations, 9s. 6d. *2
The glebe house is unfit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1657.
William Spink's charity, by will, dated 19th February 1686, and recited by deed, dated 21st March 1778. rent charge of £4 per annum, on closes called Cowgate Hill and Little Bridge Ing, viz.: £3 to the poor, to be distributed by the minister and churchwardens at Christmas, and £1 to the minister.
Bolton's charity. An ancient rent charge of 10s. per annum. There are no deeds or writings to he found relative to this charity. The money is distributed along with Spink's charity. -Vide 9th Report, page 711.
Post town: Whitwell.
Mon. Ang., vol. iii. page 633. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Dalbi), pages 21. 24. 119. 186 ; (Scoxebi), 74. Nonae Roll, page 235.
*1 Viz. Dalby with Skewsby.
*2 The Valor Ecc. specifies tithes, mansion, and glebe land. -Page 96, col. 2.