Hallikeld wapentake. -Population, vide Topcliffe ; Church-room, 200 *1 ; Net value, £60.
This township contains seven carucates of land, of which the Abbot of Fountains held three and a half of John de Dishforth, who held the same of the heirs of Henry de Percy, and he of the King in capite.
Also the said John de Dishforth held another carucate of the heirs of Percy, rendering 12d. per annum rent. And Thomas de Percy held two other carucates and a half of the heirs of Percy, and paid nothing.
Ralph de Dishforth granted to the fabrick of the Church of St. Peter's, York, all his land which Robert de Pekelthorpe held of him in the town of Dishforth.
In a grant made to the Abbey of Fountains by Thomas son of Udard de Disceford, the land given is described as lying " between the road called Watling-street and the old foss or ditch to the east of Kwiteker."
Patron, the Vicar of Topcliffe. Impropriators, the Dean and Chapter of York.
Valued in 1707, at £6; and in 1818, at £43 per annum.
Augmented in 1747, with £200; in 1751, with £200; in 1769, with £200; in 1787, with £200; in 1807, with £200; in 1813, with £200; in 1827, with £200; and in 1828, with £200 -all by lot.
No glebe house.
Register Books, no return.
Rents-charge. 6s., 5s., 5s., and 5s. per annum, for the poor.
Roger Leadley's charity, by will, dated 12th May 1682. rent charge of 20s. per annum to the Curate, and another rent charge of 20s. per annum, for shoes and clothes for poor children of the township.
School. -The master receives for his stipend the rent of a field of three acres, and he instructs, as free scholars, six young children to read.
Easterby's Land, vide Topcliffe. The poor of Dishforth are entitled to ten yards of cloth among them. -Vide 4th Report, page 399.
Post town: Boroughbridge.
Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 37. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Disforde), page 168. Burton's Monasticon, pages 160, 161.
*1 In 1818, the return was 390.