Area, 3,850 acres; Langbarugh liberty, E.D. -Population, 477 *1; Church-room, 250; Net value, £666. -This Church is an ancient Rectory, formerly belonging to the patronage of the Prior and Convent of Guisbrough, to whom it was given by Roger de Rosel ; and at the Dissolution the patronage came to the Crown.
Mr. Graves gives a catalogue of the Rectors.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £21. Nova Tax, £13. In the King's Books at £14. 8s. 6d. per annum, Procurations 7s. 6d.; and pension to the Prior of Guisbrough £1; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 6, at £160 per annum *2.
Mr. Graves gives the pedigree of the Conyers of Boulby.
27th December 1770, a faculty was granted to take down and rebuild the church.
A mortgage of £1355. 13s. 5d., under Gilbert's Act, will expire in 1853.
Inclosure Acts for Easington were passed 10th and 48th Geo. III.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1606: the first Book ending-in 1698, is defective.
Parochial Charities. -No return.
Post town: Guisbrough.
Torre's MS., page 121. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 153. Nonae Rolls, page 231. Mon. Angl., vol. vi. page 268. Burton's Monasticon, page 343. Graves's Cleveland. page 328.
*1 In 1834 the Population was returned at 750, viz. Easington, 500; and Liverton, 250. Thirty-seven men were employed, in 1831, in the Alum Works.
*2 The Valor Eccl. specifies tithes, house, cottages, and glebe lands, page 91, col. 1. There was an unreported decree in the Exchequer in Michaelmas Term, 30th Elizabeth.