GENUKI Home page    East Harlsey East Harlsey  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: EAST HARLSEY.     Church dedication: PATRON SAINT NOT KNOWN.     Church type: Perpetual Curacy.

Area, 2,910 acres. Birdforth wapentake. Population, 436; Church-room. 200; Net value, 62. This Church was anciently considered to be a Chapel within the parish of Ingleby Arncliffe, and was part of the possessions of the Prior and Convent of Guisbrough, to which it was given by Robert de Lacy.

The patronage, after. the Dissolution, was in the Lawsons, Baronets, then of the Bannermans, Baronets, and in 1806, of William Burnett, Esq.

Present patron, John Charles Maynard, Esq.

Impropriators, the freeholders. Valued in 1707 at 12. 5s.; and in 1818, at 75 per annum.

Augmented in 1717 with 200, to meet benefaction of lands worth 300 from George Lawson, Esq.

10th December 1801, a confirmation was granted of allotments of pews in the Church.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1693.

Charities:
Margaret Lawson's charity, by will, date not mentioned. rent charge of 5 per annum, 3 of which is for teaching six poor children, and 2 per annum to be distributed in weekly bread.

Jane Garthmaite's charity, by will, dated 30th July 1742. 40s. per annum, 20s. of which is paid to the Curate for a sermon on the 2nd May, and the remaining 20s. laid out in bread, which is distributed on that day by the Curate and churchwardens. -Vide 7th Report, page 610.

Post direction, Cleveland Inn.


References:
Not noticed by Torre. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 174. Mon. Angl., vol. i. page 405 ; vol. iv. page 22. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Herlesia), 234.


Further information:
MOUNT GRACE. -(Parish of East Harlsey.) -A Carthusian Priory, founded about A.D. 1396, by Thomas Holland, Duke of Surrey.

The site was granted at the Dissolution to James Strangwaies, Knight. From the Strangwaies it descended to the Lascelles, and was sold by the Rev. Robert Lascelles to the Mauleverers.

The walls of the Church are still standing, the tower is perfect.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014