Area, 6,350 acres. Pickering Lythe wapentake *1. -Population, 509 *2; Church-room, 350 *3; Net value, £135. -This Church was anciently a Chapel belonging to the Church of Pickering, till it was given and appropriated to the Deanery of York, and a Vicarage ordained therein, 8 Id. Nov. 1252. 12d. reserved to the Mother Church; and the Vicarage was augmented 7th September 1411.
Patron, the Dean of York.
Mr. Torre gives an imperfect list of the Vicars.
Valued in the King's Books, at £5. 17s. 2d.; in the Parliamentary Survey, at £20; and in 1818, at £80 per annum *4.
Augmented in 1821, with £400; and in 1826, with £200, both from the Parliamentary Grant -by lot.
6th October 1797, a faculty was granted to re-roof the Church and cover it with blue Westmoreland slate.
An Inclosure Act was passed 9th Geo. III.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1678. The first book is partly illegible.
Parochial Charities. -No return.
Post town: Pickering.
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 747. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 108. Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 200. Burton's Monasticon, pages 256. 285. Eastmead's Rievallensis, page 330. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Ebriztune), page 11.
*1 Snainton township extends into Ebberston parish.
*2 In 1818, the Population was returned at 624.
*3 Estimated in 1818, at 500.
*4 A decree in the Exchequer in Michaelmas Term, 2nd Jac. II., as to tithes of Wheeldale Rigg, is unreported.