Area, 2,060 acres. Pickering Lythe wapentake. --Population, 192 *2; Church-room, 150 *3; Net value, £131. -This Church was anciently a Chapel belonging to the Church of Pickering, and was given therewith to the Deanery of York, to which it was appropriated, and on the 8 Id. Nov. 1252, a Vicarage was ordained with Wilton ; and a payment of 2s. per annum was reserved to the mother Church.
Patron, the Dean of York.
Mr. Torre gives only a broken catalogue of the Vicars.
The Vicarage is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £6. 13s. 4d.; in the King's Books, at £7. 4s. 8d.: in the Parliamentary Survey, at £23, including a Composition at Wilton for tithe hay ; and in 1818, at £145 per annum.
Augmented in 1760, with £200 -by lot.
An Inclosure Act was passed 36th Geo. III.
The glebe house was returned in 1818, as being " fit only for a pauper ;" and returned " unfit" in 1834.
The Register Books commence in 1691.
TOWN SHIP OF FARMANBY. -Anthony Denham's rent charge of 10s. per annum. Samuel Skelton's rent charge of 6s. 8d. per annum.
These doles are distributed among such poor as receive no parochial relief. -Vide 7th Report, page 736.
Post town: Pickering.
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 757. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 107. Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 199. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Elreburne), page 11. 21. 29. Eastmead's Rievallensis, page 317.
*1 The township of Farmanby is partly in this parish.
*2 The Population in 1834, was returned at £43.
*3 The return in 1818, was 160.