GENUKI Home page    Sheriff Hutton Sheriff Hutton  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: FARLINGTON.     Church dedication: ST. LEONARD.

Area, 1,490 acres. Bulmer wapentake. - Population, 152 *1; Church-room, 60 *2; Net value (with Marton), 130. -Farlington contained three carucates and one oxgang of land, whereof the Church was endowed with two oxgangs, and John de Farlington held the residue of Ralph de Neville, and he of Peter de Malolacu, and he of the King in capite.

This is a Chapel, formerly in the parish of Sheriff Hutton, given to the Priory of Marton with Sheriff Hutton ; but having been augmented by Queen Anne's bounty, it is now become a Benefice, and is in all respects parochial, but it still contributes to the repairs of Sheriff Hutton Church. Farlington pays one-seventh to the repairs of Sheriff Hutton Church, and the bell of the latter Church is always tolled on funerals, and 2d. paid.

Torre says, " The Prior and Convent of Marton were bound to provide a Priest, to celebrate in this Chapel at their own costs." -Vide Sheriff Hutton endowment.

Patron and impropriator, the Archbishop of York.

Valued in 1707, at 27. 16s. 1d.; and in 1818, at 133. 12s. per annum.

An Inclosure Act was passed 53rd Geo. III.

The glebe house was returned in 1818 as unfit for residence, being a very small cottage. In 1834 the return was, " No glebe."

The Register Books commence in 1614.

Charities:
Poor's Stock. Interest on 135, amount of sundry small benefactions ; and which is paid to as school-master for teaching six poor children, as free scholars, to read and write.

Rents Charge. 1 per annum ; and 5s. per annum. The former distributed in money, and the latter in bread.

William Raisbeck's charity, by will, dated 1st January 1811. Interest of 100, to be applied, after the death of Ann Nightingale, in. the purchase of bread for the poor. Ann Nightingale was living at the time of the Report. -Vide 10th Report, page 737.

Post town: York.


References:
Torre's MS., page 485. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 19. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Ferlintun), page 74. Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 79.


Notes:
*1 In 1834, the population was stated at 150.

*2 In 1818, the Church-room was returned at 120.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014