Area, 5,980 acres. Birdforth wapentake *2. - Population, 911 *3; Church-room, 320 *4; Net value, £450. -This Church was given to the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem in England, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein, 16th Kal., Maij 1279. The endowment is very minute and special.
There is a Chapel at Boltby, and there was also another at Sutton-under-White-stonecliffe, but which was demolished before Abp. Sharp's time.
In 1314 there was an inquisition taken concerning the portion of this Vicarage, and King Henry VIII. granted the Rectory and Advowson, together with the Commandry of Mount St. John and the Manor of Sutton-under-Whitstoncliffe, to the see of York.
The Archbishop of York is still the patron and impropriator.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £10; Nova Tax, £4; and in the King's books, the Vicarage is valued at £9. 8s. 6d. per annum. Synodals and Procurations, 11s. 6d.
A decree in the Exchequer in Trinity Term, 7th Anne, as to tithes, is unreported.
28th April 1757, faculty to erect a gallery.
15th March 1798, ditto to re-pew the Church and erect a gallery.
An Inclosure Act was passed 34th Geo. III.
The glebe house was returned in 1818, as fit for residence ; but in 1834, unfit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1598: many entries almost illegible, and imperfect 1770-1774.
Parochial Charities. -No return.
Post town: Thirsk.
Torre's MS., page 591. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 45. Mon. Ang., vol. vi. page 803. Burton's Monasticon, page 332. Nones Roll, page 242. Jefferson's Thirsk, page 121.
*1 St. Felix was the first Bishop of East Anglia, and was consecrated at Dunwich A.D. 630. He founded the Monastery of Soham, in Cambridgeshire. His remains were transported to Ramsey Abbey in 1026, and were enshrined there in 1192.
*2 The parish of Feliskirk is partly in Ripon liberty, West Riding.
*3 Viz. Boltby, 342; Sutton under Whitestoncliffe, 328; Feliskirk, 110; and Thirlby, 131. -Weaving is almost discontinued in the township of Boltby, to which cause the decrease of population (61 persons) is attributed. -In 1834, the population, exclusive of the Chapelry, was returned at 460.
*4 In 1818, Feliskirk and Boltby were returned as affording accommodation for 600.
MOUNT ST. JOHN. -(Parish of Feliskirk.) -A Preceptory of the Knights Templars, founded by William Percy, temp. Henry I., to whom Robert Lord Ros gave the manor of Mount St. John. and Roger de Mowbray, Adam Fossard. Sir William Cantlow, knight. Alice Gaunt, and Odo de Boltby, gave very many lands there.
And Baldwin Wake gave the manor of Kereby and the soke of Osyngwald.
After the Dissolution, Mount St. John was given to the Archbishopric of York.
SUTTON-UNDER-WHITESTONE-CLIFFE. -(Parish of Feliskirk.) -This town also belonged to the Knights Hospitallers, and came to the see at the Dissolution.
MADDERBY GRANGE. - (Parish of Feliskirk..) -This also belonged to the Knights, and is now parcel of the see of York.