Area, 3,330 acres. Rydall wapentake. -Population, 371 *1; Church-room, 310 *2; Net value, £632. -The towns of Gilling and Southam were held for the fourth part of a knight's fee, by John de Elton, who held them of the King in capite.
And in Gilling there are three carucates of land, geldable, (where twenty made a knight's fee) which were held of the fee of Mowbray, by John de Elton, and answered 15d. for the fine of the wapentake.
Also there are four carucates and a half of the liberty of St. Mary's, of York, not geldable.
And the Canons of Malton held half a carucate more.
And the Church is endowed with half a carucate besides.
The Church is an ancient Rectory, formerly belonging to the patronage of the Abbot and Convent of St. Mary in York, to which it was given by Eustace Fitz John, after the Dissolution it came to the Fairfaxes. Sometime after the year 1770, the Rev. John Pigott bought the advowson, which by will he left to Trinity College, Cambridge, and the College has now the patronage.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £18. 13s. 4d.; Nova Tax, £10. 13s. 4d.; and in the King's Books, at £13. 10s. per annum.
An Act was passed 42nd Geo. III. c. 33, for exchange of tithes, &c.
The glebe house is fit for residence. It was rebuilt under a faculty dated 3rd May 1812.
The Register Books commence in 1639 ; they are irregular until 1680.
Doles. Duck's, £2 per annum ; Liptrot's, £2 per annum ; Dr. Nicholas Gouge's, £2. 10s. per annum ; Honourable Ann Fairfax's, £2. 10s. per annum ; Rev. John Boulton's, 10s.
Thomas Potter's charity, by will, proved in 1776. Interest of £10 distributed by the Rector to the poor communicants on Christmas and Easter days.
Rev. John Pigott's bequest, by will, dated 9th May, 1812. Dividend of £4. 2s. 10d. per annum, paid to the parish clerk.
The Honourable Ann Fairfax's gift, by will, dated 13th March 1784. Dividends on £455. 1s. 3d. three per cent. consols, for educating children whose parents belong to the towns of Gilling and Colton.
TOWNSHIP OF CAWTON.
Doles. 16s. per annum, £2 per annum given by Dr. Nicholas Gouge, 6s. per annum, interest of £5 given by Mr. Liptrot, and £1, left by Mr. Mann.
TOWNSHIP OF GRIMSTONE.
Interest of £20 left by Dr. Nicholas Gouge, given in coals. -Vide 11th Report, page 775.
Post town: Helmsley.
Torre's MS., page 279, (wherein the monuments in the Church are noticed). Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 79. Nonae Rolls, page 239. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Calve-tun), pages 72. 197 ; (Chellenge), 186. 200. Mon. Angl., vol. iii. pages 534. 573. Eastmead's Rievallensis, page 395.
*1 Viz. Cawton, 89; Gilling, 214; Grimston, 68. The official abstracts of the Population returns exhibits an erroneous aggregate of the Population of this parish, some of the townships being placed under the other Gilling, which is within the Archdeaconry of Richmond, and which, in order to avoid confusion, should be designated as West Oiling.
*2 According to the return of 1818. In 1834, the return was "sufficient".