Area, 8,370 acres. Langbarugh liberty, E.D. -Population, 1,004 *1; Church-room, 150 *2; Net value, £77. -This Chapel has the right of Sepulture, but Marriages are not solemnized therein, but take place at Danby.
A Burial ground was consecrated 27th July 1793.
Patron, the Archbishop of York.
Valued in 1707 at £9. 11s. 8d.; and in 1818 at £38. 16s. 10d. per annum.
Augmented in 1741 with £200. In 1772 with £200; and in 1810 with £200; and in 1814 with £1,000, both from the Parliamentary Grant, and all by lot ; and in 1815 with £300 from the Parliamentary Grant, to meet benefaction of £200 from the Minister and Inhabitants.
Mr. Graves gives a catalogue of the Incumbent Curates.
27th October 1792, a faculty was granted to rebuild the chapel.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books, for Baptisms and Burials, commence in 1758. -Vide transcripts of earlier Registers at York.
The School, founded 28th March 1741, by Samuel Prudom. Endowment, two rents-charge of £2 each per annum, for educating 8 free scholars in reading, writing, and arithmetic. The Master has also the use of the schoolhouse, and a small garden adjoining.
Rents-charge, 6s. 8d., £1., £1. 10s., and 14s. per annum. -Vide 7th Report, page 717.
Post town: Whitby.
Not noticed by Torre. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 156. Graves's Cleveland, page 278.
*1 Several families have emigrated, which has caused a decrease in Population since 1821 of 39 persons.
*2 In 1818 the return was 400.