Genuki Logo    Great Thirkleby Great Thirkleby  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: GREAT THIRKLEBY.     Church dedication: ALL SAINTS.     Church type: Discharged Vicarage.

Area, 1,800 acres. Birdforth wapentake. -Population, 317 ; Church-room, sufficient ; Net value, 210. -In Thirkleby were three carucates of land held of Oliver de Bussey, who held them of Roger de Mowbray, and he of the King in capite, by 5s. rent.

The whole answered for the fourth part of a knight's fee.

This Church was a Chapel to Coxwold, belonging to the patronage of Roger de Mowbray, by whom it was given to the Prior and Convent of Newburgh, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein in 1269. After the Dissolution, the Rectory and the advowson of the Vicarage were given to the Archbishop of York, and his successors; by King Henry VIII., in exchange, and the Archbishop of York is still the patron and impropriator.

Valued in the King's Books, at 5. 19s. 10d., after deducting for Synodals and Procurations, 5s. 4d. -In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. pages 46-62 it is said, " the Rectory belongs to the Archbishop ;" ----and in 1818, at 148. 8s. 3d. per annum.

" All tithe except corn belongs to the Vicar. -20s. was left by Brian Kitchingman of Leeds, 10s. of which were to be paid to the Vicar for preaching an annual sermon on Christmas-day, and 10s. to the poor of the parish. Annual value, 28." Signed " Henry Dunn, Vicar." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 728.

An Act was passed 3rd Geo. I. for exchange of Vicarage House, &c. A copy of the Act is entered in Archbishop Dawes's Register, fol. 111.

1st October 1805, faculty granted to take away a barn belonging to the Vicarage.

20th August 1820, ditto to the Rev. Francis Barker to make a vault.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1611.

Charities:
Poor's Land. 11 acres. Also 41. 17s. 6d. in the Savings' Bank, and 43. 6s. 8d. taken by the parish. 10s. per annum is paid to the Minister, for a sermon on Christmas-day, and the residue of the rent and interest is distributed among the poor. -Vide 6th Report, page 596.

Post town: Thirsk.


References:
Torre's MS., page 585. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 44. Jefferson's Thirsk, page 107. Mon. Angl., vol. vi. page 317. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Turgilebi), pages 48. 84. 186. 196. Burton's Monasticon, pages 254, 337, 376.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014