Genuki Logo    Hackness Hackness  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: HACKNESS.     Church dedication: ST. MARY AND ST. PETER.     Church type: Perpetual Curacy.

Area, 12,730 acres. Whitby Strand Liberty. -Population, 749 *2 ; Church-room, 400; Net value, 53. -At the time of the Conquest, Hackness, Suffield, and Everley had each a Church.

By composition, dated 1231, the Prior and Convent of Bridlington had common of pasture in Hackness for fifty cows with their calves, as far as three years old; and for twenty mares with their foals, till three years old ; paying yearly to the Abbey of Whitby, one pound of wax and one pound of incense.

A Cell to Whitby Abbey was founded here by St. Hilda, and a new Monastery erected temp. William II., but there were only four Monks in the fraternity at the Dissolution.

This Church was given by William de Percy to the Monks of Whitby, when they complained to him that they were so infested by robbers and thieves at Whitby, that they could not serve God there in quietness. Here these stayed for a time, and some of them laid their bones there. It was afterwards appropriated to the Abbey.

This Church was built and endowed by Sir Thomas Posthumus Hobby, Knt., and consecrated 16th October 1636.

In 1783, John Watts was licensed to the Curacy of Hackness, with the Chapel of Harwoodale annexed.

Patron and Impropriator, Sir J. V. B. Johnstone, Bart.

The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at 33. 6s. 8d.; new taxation, 16; in 1707, the Curacy was valued at 21; and in 1818, at 88 per annum.

Augmented in 1807, with 200; in 1811, with 200; in 1812, with 200; in 1824, with 400; and in 1828, with 200 -all by lot.

Torre gives the monuments and inscriptions.

An Inclosure Act was passed 58th Geo. III.

No Glebe house.

The Register Books commence in 1653, but defective till 1777. -Vide Transcripts at York.

Charity:
John Craven, senior's. rent charge, by will, 52s. per annum for white bread for the poor, on every Sunday. -Vide 7th Report, page 756.

Post town: Scarborough.


References:
Torre's MS., page 161. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii., page 237. Nonae Roll, page 241. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Brecca), p. 64; (Hagenesse), page 173; (Sudfelt), page 173; (Evrelai), page 175. Burton's Monast. pages 54. 56. 72. 76. 78. 82. 332. Mon. Angl. vol. i. page 408. Eastmead's Rievallensis, page 341.


Notes:
*1 Torre places this in Cleveland Deanery.

*2 Viz. Broxa, 74; Hackness, 215; Harwood Dale, with Silpho, 336 ; and Suffield, with Everley, 124. In 1834, the Population was returned at 509.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014