GENUKI Home page    Hilton Hilton  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: HILTON.     Church dedication: PATRON SAINT NOT KNOWN.     Church type: Perpetual Curacy.

Area, 1,510 acres. Langbarugh liberty, W.D. --Population, 113 *1 ; Church-room 88 ; Net value, 50. This Chapel still contributes to the repairs of the Mother Church, but is in all other respects considered to be a separate parish.

Patron, Earl of Burlington.

Valued in 1707 at 5. 9s. 4d.; and in 1818, at 47 per annum.

Augmented in 1746 with 200; in 1767, with 200; in 1786, with 200; in 1809, with 200; in 1815, with 200; and in 1829, with 200, -all by lot.

No glebe house.

The Register Books commence in 1698. The Return states that " marriages were not solemnised prior to 1754 *2."

Parochial Charities. -No return.

Post town: Stokesley.


References:
Not noticed in Torre's MS. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 134. Graves's Cleveland, page 179.


Notes:
*1 In 1834, the Population was returned at 212.

*2 Consequently no marriages can now be legally solemnized therein until licensed. This requires attention.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014