Area, 3,960 acres. Langbarugh liberty, E.D. -Population, 1,881 *2; Church-room, 600 *3; Net value, £440. This Church is an ancient Rectory, formerly belonging to the patronage of the Lords Mauleys and the Thwiengs, who presented by turns *4. The Thwiengs' turn came to the Lumleys, and the Mauleys' to the Salvins, Knights. The last Salvin that presented was Ralph Salvin, Esq., 1601. In 1670, Robert Crompton, Gent., presented. In 1714, the Archbishop presented by reason of lapse. In 1747, the Crown presented by reason of Dr. Osbaldeston being made a Bishop. In 1763, Boynton Langley, Esq., presented. In 1781, the presentation lapsed to the Archbishop. In 1790, Montague Lind, Esq., presented ; and in 1793, Lady Boynton and J. G. Parkhurst, Esq., presented, for that turn only.
Present patron, Thomas Smith, Esq. Mr. Graves gives a catalogue of the Rectors.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £16. 13s. 4d.; there is no reduction in the new taxation ; and in the King's books, at £12. 13s. 6d. per annum ; Synodals, 4s.; Procurations, 7s. 6d. *5
An Inclosure Act was passed 44th Geo. III. (Hither and Far Scaling.) The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1601.
30th April 1773, faculty granted to enlarge the Church, it being stated in the petition that the Population had above doubled during the preceding century.
6th July 1818, ditto to erect a gallery. 8th July 1819, confirmation of allotments of sittings.
Samuel Howlet's charity, by deed, dated 15th January 1782. rent charge of 40s. per annum, to carry into effect a donation under the will of his brother Nicholas Howlet, distributed among the poor at Christmas. -Vide 7th Report, page 719.
Post town: Whitby.
Torre's MS., page 127. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 154. Nouae Molls, page 231. Burton's Monasticon, pages 73. 86. Graves's Cleveland, page 318.
*1 This is a corruption of Hildawell.
*2 Viz. Hinderwell, 1,698; Rowsby, 183. 223 men were employed in 1831, in fishing. In 1834, the Population of Hinderwell was returned at 1,750, and that of Rowsby at 250.
*3 In 1818, the Church-room in Hinderwell and Rowsby was returned at 1,395.
*4 In the Tower of London there is Plac. II., vol. xii. Joan. Pasch. rot. 8. pro advoc. eccl. de Rokesby. In 1603, a Turkey vessel was stranded on this coast, and being infected with the plague the contagion was carried into the village and raged nearly six weeks, and carried off forty-nine of the inhabitants, but did not extend to any of the neighbouring villages.
*5 The Valor Ecc. specifies tithes, mansion, and glebe land. Page 91, col. 1.