Genuki Logo    Holtby Holtby  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: HOLTBY.     Church dedication: HOLY TRINITY.     Church type: Peculiar. Discharged Rectory.

Area, 850 acres. Bulmer wapentake. -Population *1, 157 ; CHURCH -ROOM, 200; Net value, 248.

The Church is an ancient Rectory formerly belonging to the patronage of the Prior and Convent of Durham, upon whose dissolution it came to the Crown, and it seems was not regranted upon the foundation of the Dean and Chapter. After Queen Elizabeth had presented, the patronage came into the hands of Tobias Jenkins, and afterwards of the Rev. Thomas Nelson, whose daughters presented the Rev. Robert Warburton, in 1799.

Lord Feversham is the present patron.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at 5. 6s. 8d.; and in the King's books, at 6. 13s. 4d. per annum ; Synodals and Procurations, payable to the Monastery of St. Cuthbert, 1. 5s.

An Inclosure Act was passed 29th Geo. II.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1679.

Charities:
John Straker's charity, by will, in 1669. Rent of a cottage and thirteen acres of land, partly freehold and partly copyhold. The estate is charged with 5 per annum for sundry out payments, and the residue of the rent is distributed among poor people of Holtby.

James Twinam's charity, by will, dated 6th August, 1733. Rent of a moiety of a copyhold close at Dunnington called the Jugs, containing four acres, distributed among the poor by the overseers of the parish.

Agar's rent charge. 30s. per annum, described in the Return made in 1786 as a rent charge, given at some time unknown, by the ancestors of John Agar, Esq, of Warthill, and paid by that gentleman till his death, which happened in January, 1807. The payment was considered as issuing out of some part of a farm called Thompson's Land, but nothing certain is known. The payment has been suspended since 1807, it being contended that in the absence of any evidence, it must, under the circumstances, be considered as having been a voluntary gift. -Vide 8th Report, page 711.

Post town: York.


References:
Torre's MS., (Peculiars), page 1249. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. iii. page 57. Nonae Rolls, page 243.


Notes:
*1 In 1834, the population was returned at 177.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014