Area, 3,690 acres. Hang East wapentake. -Population, 364 *1; Church-room, 420; Net value, £93. -This Church anciently belonged to the Abbot and Convent of St. Mary's, in York, and was by them granted on Non. Sept. 1220, to Walter Gray, Archbishop of York, and by him given and appropriated to the Dean and Chapter of York, and a Vicarage was ordained therein.
Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of York.
Valued in the King's Books, at £6. 15s. 5d.
Inclosure Acts were passed 31st and 54th Geo. III.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1582.
William Tipping's, by will, 1626. 14s. per annum, paid by the Duke of Leeds.
Darcy's, Elsley's, and Firby' s gifts. Proportion of certain rents of 4a. 2r. 10p. of land, with certain parishes.
William Brown's, 1789. Interest of £20, in bread. -Vide 6th Report, page 624.
Torre's MS., page 1617. Nonae Roll, page 242. Mon. Angl., vol. iii. page 573. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Hornibi), pages 39. 103. 108. 234. Whitaker's Richmondshire, vol. ii. page 43. Bodleian MSS., No. 5101.
*1 Viz. Ainderby Myers with Holtby, 90; Hackfall, 142; Hornby, 132.