Area, 2,800 acres. Birdforth wapentake *1. -Population 539 *2; Church-room, 279 *3; Net value, £91.
The Prebendary is lord of the whole town ; hath his manor there ; demesne lands, and jurisdiction of the same.
Patrons, and impropriators, Trinity College, Cambridge.
Valued in 1707, at £25; and in 1818, at £91. 4s. per annum.
Augmented in 1719 with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from the Rev. Mr. Midgley.
This Chapel has the right of sepulture, and marriages are solemnized therein.
30th October 1788, faculty to erect a gallery.
No glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1674.
Husthwaite Charities. -William Duffield's charity, by will, dated 8th November 1778. The interest of £50, to a master or mistress, to teach poor children, to read, write, and sew. George Wailes's charity, by will, dated 7th October 1790. Interest of £10 among ten poor persons not receiving parochial relief. Rev. Robert Peirson's charity. Interest of £10 for the poor. In 1807, these legacies were invested in the purchase of £111. 8s. 6d. three per cent, consols, in the name of the Rev. Thomas Newton and others. £2. 7s., part of the annual dividend, is paid to a schoolmaster for teaching four poor children chosen by the Curate and churchwardens, and the residue is distributed in small sums in January.
Ann Dixon's gift, by will, in 1816. Interest of £5 for the use of the poor.
John Forster's rent charge, by will, dated 2d July 1640. 7s. per annum to the poor.
George Potts's gift. 52s. per annum, laid out in white bread, given every Sunday. The payment is made by Mr. Thompson of Escrick. -Vide 4th Report, page 391.
Post town: Thirsk.
Torte's MS. (Peculiars), page 1076. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 67.
*1 The parish is within the liberty of St. Peter of York.
*2 Viz. Carlton, 163 ; and Husthwaite, 376.
*3 In 1818, the Church-room for Carlton and Husthwaite was stated at 600.