Genuki Logo    Hutton Buscel Hutton Buscel  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: HUTTON BUSCEL.     Church dedication: ST. MATTHEW.     Church type: Vicarage in charge.

Area, 5,670 acres. Pickering Lythe wapentake. -Population, 671 *1; Church-room, 600; Net value, 320. -This Church was an ancient Rectory, of two Medieties, belonging to the patronage of the Buscels, till it was given by Alan Buscel, together with a carucate of land, to the Prior and Convent of Whitby. Alan his son confirmed the grant, and also granted the Hermitage nigh the Church.

The Rectory was in Medieties, which were on the 7th August 1453 and 2nd October 1453 respectively appropriated to the Abbey of Whitby, and on the 9th January 1458, Archbishop Booth ordained a Vicarage, and assigned the tithe corn to the Convent, and the rest of the profits to the Vicar.

Alan de Bused gave half a carucate of land at Hutton Bushell to the Priory at Wykeham.

At the Dissolution the patronage came to the Crown, which presented to the Vicarage till King James the First's time, when it appears to have been granted to Lord Eure, and afterwards to the Sherards, and in 1720 it came to the Wentworth family.

Present patron, Earl Fitzwilliam.

Impropriator, G. Osbaldeston, Esq.

The Medieties of the Church are valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at 25. 6s. 8d., viz. pars Rici de Hanleye 12, and pars Rici de Taunton, 13. 6s. 8d.; pension, 2; and in the King's Books, the Vicarage is valued at 14. 17s. 4d. per annum.

"A Vicarage, endowed with all tithes but of corn." Signed, " Geo. Sheffeild, Vic." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 1046.

9th July 1786, a burial ground was consecrated.

Inclosure Acts were passed 24th Geo. II., 30th Geo. III., and 32nd Geo. III. (West Ayton.)

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1572 ; chasm from 1634 to 1652.

Charity:
Free School. Endowment : rent charge of 8 per annum, given by Robert Farside in 1712 ; interest of 100, given by Lucy Osbaldeston, by will, dated 26th February 1783 ; 11a. 1r. 20p. of land, house, garden, and school-room-fourteen free scholars in reading, writing, and arithmetic. -Vide 8th Report, page 753.

Post direction, Snainton New Inn.


References:
Torre's MS., page 197, (he gives some of the armorial bearings on the windows.) Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 101. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Hothine), it is difficult to identify the numerous towns of this name. Burton's Monasticon, pages 73. 256. Nonae Rolls, page 238. Mon. Angl. vol. i. page 421. Eastmead's Rievallensis, page 340.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Hutton Bushell, 415; West Ayton, 256. In 1834, the Population of the parish was returned at only 466.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014