GENUKI Home page    Ingleby Greenhow Ingleby Greenhow  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: INGLEBY GREENHOW.     Church dedication: SAINT ANDREW.     Church type: Perpetual Curacy.

Area, 6,400 acres. Langbarugh liberty, W. D. -Population, 368 *1; Church-room, 200 *2; Net value, 67. -This Church was given by Adam, the son of Viel, to the Abbot and Convent of Whitby, to which house it was appropriated by Archbishop Thoresby, but no provision made for a Vicar.

The patronage, at the Dissolution, was granted to Sir Ralph Eure, and afterwards was purchased by the family of the Foulises, baronets, who are still the patrons and impropriators.

Mr. Graves gives a catalogue of the Curates, and the pedigree of the Foulises, barts.

The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at 12; Nova Tax, 7., 6s. 8d.; in 1707, the Curacy was certified at 13. 13s. 4d.; and in 1818, at 60. 15s. per annum *3.

Augmented in 1720, with 200, to meet benefaction of 200 from Sir William Foulis, hart.; and in 1761, with 200, to meet benefaction of 200 from the said Sir William Foulis, bart.

No glebe house.

The Register Books commence in 1539. Chasm 1630-1653.

The Church was rebuilt about the year 1741.

Charities:
The School. An annual sum of 3. 10s. is paid by Sir W. Foulis, bart., the lord of the manor. It is the interest of 100, given or left by a person named John Rowland, for educating poor children. The schoolmaster also receives 10s. a year, as interest of 10 left by the Rev. Samuel Hassell, for educating one poor child. A dwelling for the master, and a school, have been erected on the waste, by subscription. The master is usually appointed by the lord of the manor, and instructs four free scholars in reading, writing, and arithmetic.

William Askew's gift. 3 per annum, paid by Sir William Foulis as interest on 60, which has for a great length of time been in the hands of his family, and said to have been given in 1542 for the use of the poor.

Gregory Rowland's rent charge, by will, in 1733. 2 per annum for the poor.

One Hundred Pounds' Stock. In 1816, the sum of 100 four per cents. was purchased with 75, the amount of the following donations, viz.:- 40 and 5, given by John Carter and Robert Snowden respectively, for the poor ; 20, given by the Rev. Samuel Hassell for the like purpose ; and 10, also given by him for educating one poor child. The sum of 10s. is paid over to the schoolmaster, and the residue of the dividend is distributed among the poor. -Vide 7th Report, page 719.

Post town: Stokesley.


References:
Torre's MS., page 173. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 140. Graves's Cleveland, page 249. Mon. Ang., vol. i. page 405. Burton's Monasticon, pages 73. 251. 330. 341. Charlton's Whitby, page 116. Nonae Rolls, page 232.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Battersby, 77; Greenhow, 94 ; and Ingleby Greenhow, 197.

*2 Estimated in 1818 at 300.

*3 See Valor Ecc., vol. iii. page 80, for the value of the appropriation.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014