Genuki Logo    Kilburn Kilburn  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: KILBURN.     Church dedication: ST. MARY.     Church type: Perpetual Curacy.

Area, 3,670 acres. Ripon Liberty *1. -Population, 531 *2; Church-room, 260 *3; Net value, 99. This was formerly a Chapel in the parish of Coxwold, appropriated to the Prior and Convent of Newburgh ; and at the Dissolution, granted to the Archbishop of York by King Henry VIII.

" An impropriation of the Archbishop of York *4, whose lessee pays the Curate 20 per annum." Signed " Chas Man Curate." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 1054.

See also an unreported Decree in the Exchequer in Trinity Term, 28th Car. II.

Valued in 1707 at 20; and in 1818, at 65 per annum.

Augmented in 1732 with 200, to meet benefaction of 200 from the Archbishop of York ; in 1815, with 1,000 from the Parliamentary grant, -by lot ; and in 1827, with 400 from the same grant, -by lot.

An Inclosure Act was passed 43rd Geo. III.

The glebe house was returned in 1818 as unfit for residence, being stated, " Small cottage, only two rooms on the ground floor ;" and returned " unfit" in 1834.

26th June 1818, faculty to shorten the chancel 14 feet 6 inches, and to take off the lead from the roof and replace it with blue Westmoreland slate.

The Register Books commence in 1600, -very defective till 1753. -Vide transcripts at York.

Charities:
Poor's Land. Five acres, situate at Sowerby, near Thirsk, were left for the poor by William Baynes and -Kitchingman, but there are no deeds relative thereto. There is also a piece of land at Kilburn containing 2a. 3r. 30p. of land, purchased with several small legacies ; the rent at the time of the Report was 17. 10s. per annum, out of which 10s. are paid to a schoolmistress for teaching one poor girl to read and knit, agreeably to the will of Ann Berry, dated 1st October 1768, and the residue, in the proportion of 16. 11s. to the poor of the constabulary of Kilburn, and 8s. 4d. to the poor of Oldstead, Wass, and Hood Grange, viz. 6s. 8d. to the two former and 1s. 8d. to the latter, agreeably to the legacies mentioned in the table. -Vide 4th Report, page 392.

Post town: Thirsk.


References:
Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. iii. page 43. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Chileburn). page 196. Burton's Monasticon, page 333. Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 82.


Notes:
*1 But extends into Birdforth wapentake.

*2 Viz. Hood Grange, 23; and Kilburn, 508. In 1834, the population was returned at 529.

*3 According to the return of 1818. In 1818, the return was "sufficient."

*4 " The farm or lordship called Thorp in the Willows, pays a modus to the Rector, or tithes in kind. -Baiues v. Clarke." -1 Wood, page 244. " The manner in which the Rector is entitled to the tithes of Rowlands, Bosamworth, May-nards, and Lees Farms, is stated in the case -The Archbishop of York, v. the Duke of Newcastle." -1 Wood, page 446.


Other information:
HOOD GRANGE. -(Parish of Kilburn.) -Originally an Hermitage, but given, in 1138, by Roger Mowbray, to a Convent of Cistercian Monks, afterwards a Cell of Canons to Newburgh.

Mon. Angl. vol. vi. page 322.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014