Area, 5,730 acres. - Langbarugh liberty, W.D. -Population, 188 *2; Church-room, 200 *3; Net value, £120. -This Church is an ancient Rectory, formerly belonging to the patronage of the Percies of Kildale, from whom it came to the house of Northumberland, who last presented in 1637 ; in 1667, the Turners, of Kirkleatham, baronets, first presented.
Present patron, Mrs. Livesey.
Mr. Graves gives a catalogue of the Rectors.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £5. 6s. 8d.; Nova Tax, £4; in the King's books, at £10. 3s. 4d.; Synodals, 4s.; Procurations, 7s. 6d.; and in 1818, at £150 per annum *4.
An Inclosure Act was passed 15th Geo. III., and all tithes within the parish are extinguished.
The glebe house was returned in 1818 as unfit for residence, being a " little old building, not suited to the residence of a Clergyman." Returned " unfit," in 1834.
The Register Books commence in 1719. Earlier entries were made in the Register. Book at Ingleby Greenhow.
The. Chapel of St. Kilda stood within this parish : also a house of Crouched Friars.
Parochial Charities. - Vide Graves's Cleveland, and 7th Report, page 720.
Post town: Stokesley.
Torre's MS., page 9. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 141. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Childale), pages 225. 235. Graves's Cleveland, page 257. Valor Ecc., vol. iii. page 90. Burton's Monasticon, pages 251. 283. 347. Nonae Rolls, page 231.
*1 Kil is equivalent to Cell or Kirk.
*2 In 1834, returned at 209.
*3 According to the return of 1818. No return made in 1834.
*4 The Valor Ecc. specifies the tithes, mansion, and glebe land. -Page 90, col. 2.