Genuki Logo    Kirby Knowle Kirby Knowle  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: KIRBY KNOWLE.     Church dedication: PATRON SAINT NOT KNOWN.     Church type: Rectory in charge.

Area, 3,550 acres. Birdforth wapentake. Population, 507 *1; Church-room. 154 *2; Net value, 415.

The town of Kirkby sub Knowle contained five carucates of land, whereof one carucate and two oxgangs were held of Roger de Lassells who held this whole town of Hugh de Hupsall, who held it of the heirs of Baldwin Wake, and they of Roger de Mowbray, and be of the King in capite, by two shillings rent. The whole answering for the fourth part of a knight's fee.

The Church is an ancient Rectory formerly belonging to the patronage of the Lascelles of Escrick, from whom it came to the Knyvetts, and from them to the Constables of Kirkby Knowle, and lastly to the Franklands, baronets.

Present patron, Sir T. Frankland, Bart.

The former Rectors had sometimes a Vicar under them.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at 16. 13s. 4d.; Nova Tax, 8; and in the King's books, at 8. 2s. per annum ; Synodals and Procurations, 11s. 6d.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register books commence in 1642.

Parochial charities, vide Bagby.

Post town: Thirsk.


References:
Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. iii. page 46. Nonae Rolls, page 236. Jefferson's Thirsk, page 132.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Bagby, 289; Balk, 72; Kirkby Knowle, 146. In 1834, the Return omitted Balk, 72.

*2 According to the Return in 1818. No return in 1834.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014