|Kirkby in Cleveland|
Area, 5,020 acres. Langbarugh liberty, W.D. -Population, 469 *1; Church-room, 300 *2; Net value of Rectory, £359; no return as to the Vicarage. -John de Ewer, in A.D. 1304, exempted the Nuns of Basedale and the Monks of Rievaulx from suit in his Court here for their respective lands.
This Church was an ancient Rectory, belonging to the patronage of Adam de Aengleby, the son of Viel, by whom it was given to the Abbot and Convent of Whitby, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein.
At the Dissolution, the patronage came to the Crown, and the Advowson was granted by King Henry VIII. to the See of York, and the Archbishop presents to the Rectory, and the Rector presents to the Vicarage. The Rectory is the only sinecure in the Archbishop's gift.
The endowment not given by Torre. The first Vicar named in his catalogue was instituted in 1313. The catalogues are continued by Mr. Graves, who also gives the pedigree of the Constables of Dromandby.
The Church was valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £20; Nova Tax, £11. 6s. 8d.; Vicaria ejusdem, £6. 13s. 4d.; Nova Tax, £4; in the King's books, the Vicarage, £5. 6s. 8d.; Rectory, £21. 8s. 6d.; Synodals,. 4s.; Procurations, 7s. 6d.; and pension to the Abbot of Whitby, £3. 6s. 8d. In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii., the Rectory is valued at £42, and the Vicarage at £27 per annum; and in 1818, the Vicarage was returned at £100 per annum *3.
The Vicarage was augmented in 1742, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from Mr. Edward Guy.
4th July 1784, faculty to erect a gallery.
7th December 1807, ditto to build a new Church.
8th August 1808, ditto.
30th November 1814, ditto to rebuild the Church, the two former faculties not having been carried into effect.
An Inclosure Act was passed 51st Geo. III. (Great Broughton.)
The glebe house was returned in 1818 as unfit for residence, being " a small cottage ;" but in 1834, returned " fit for residence."
The Register Books commence in 1627. Entries of marriages cut out 1643-1650. Chasm 1706-1730. Subsequent chasms. -Vide transcripts in the Registry at York.
The School. Henry Edmunds, formerly of Worsbrough, in the county of York, Esquire, founded the school at Kirkby ; and by will, dated 7th June 1708, he devised lands, to be settled upon the master, and appointed, that the lord of the manor, the parson of Stokesley, and the parson, Vicar, and churchwardens of Kirkby, should elect the master, and be visiters of the school.
TOWNSHIP OF BROUGHTON.
Ancient rents-charge, donors unknown. 6s. per annum for poor widows, and 108. per annum for the poor. -Vide Graves's Cleveland, and 7th Report, page 720.
On a mountain in this parish are some remarkable stones, called the Wain Stones.
Post town: Stokesley.
Torre's MS., page 37. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 139. Graves's Cleveland, page 239. Mon. Ang., vol. i. page 411. Burton's Monasticon, pages 74. 251. 361. Valor Ecc., vol. iii. page 89. Gentleman's Magazine for 1801. Nonae Rolls, page 231.
*1 Viz. Great and Little Broughton, 287; and Kirkby, 182.
*2 According to the return in 1818. No return in 1834.
*3 The Valor Ecc. specifies the tithes and glebe land (Rectory), and Vicarial tithes and other profits (Vicarage).