Area, 13,700 acres. Rydall wapentake. Population, more than 2,324 *1; Church-room, 650; Net value, £417. -The Church, with one carucate of land, and tofts, and crofts, was given by Roger de Mowbray to the Prior and Convent of Newburgh, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein.
Mr. Torre does not give the endowment. The first Vicar named in his catalogue was instituted in 1288.
At the Dissolution the patronage came to the Crown, and is now exercised by the Lord Chancellor.
Impropriator, Lord Feversham.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £16. 13s. 4d.; Nova Tax, £6. 13s. 4d.; Vicaria ejusdem, £10; and in the King's Books, the Vicarage is valued at £14. 0s. 10d. per annum.
An Inclosure Act was passed 28th Geo. III.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1622 ; the early books are defective. -But vide transcripts in the Archiepiscopal Registry.
Doles. John Wawne's, £2 per annum : John Cooper's, 10s. per annum ; John Coulson's, 4s. per annum ; George Mercer's, 5s. per annum ; Dorothy Cook's, 5s. per annum. -These are regularly distributed among the poor.
Copyhold premises given by Elizabeth Stockton, for the poor. House, garths, two butts, containing about three-fourths of an acre, and a small allotment on the common ; rent distributed at Christmas.
Margaret Horner's charity. Rent of a copyhold house, for the poor.
William Ness's rent charge of £3. 10s. per annum for the poor; given at Christmas.
Mrs. Comber's charity, in 1807. Dividends on £160 three per cent. consols, given among the poor.
Ann Atkinson's charity. Dividends on £42. 6s. 1d. Navy Fives, for the poor of Kirkby Moorside.
Rev. William Comber's charity, by deed, 15th October 1800, £4. 0s. 7½d. per annum redeemed land tax ; for support of a Sunday school, with power to pay out of such annual sum any sum not exceeding £1. 1s., to qualify the Vicar or resident Curate as a member of the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge.
TOWNSHIPS OF GILLAMORE AND FADMORE.
Mary Boyes's rent charge of 10s. and 10s. per annum, to the poor of these respective townships. There are also similar doles paid out of Pilmoor land. -Vide 7th Report, page 750.
A post town.
Torre's MS., page 250. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 90. Nonae Rolls, page 239. Burton's Monasticon, page 333. 380. Eastmead's Rievallensis, page. 1. Mon. Angl., vol. d. page 664; and vol. vi. page 321. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Kirkebi, Cherchebi).
*1 Viz. Fadmore, 158; Farndale Low Quarter, 185; Gillamore, 179; Kirkby Moorside, 1,802; decrease of 124 since 1821. The whole Population of Bransdale Eastside is included in Farndale Eastside in Lastingham parish.
KELDHOLME PRIORY. - (Parish of Kirkbymoorside.) -This Priory, sometimes called Duna, or Dona, was founded temp. Hen. I., by Robert de Stutevill. At the Dissolution the site was granted to Ralph, Earl of Westmoreland.