Area, 10,030 acres. Rydall wapentake *1. Population, 1,289 *2; Church-room, 450 *3; Net value, £137.
Patrons and impropriators, the University of Oxford.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £23. 6s. 8d.; Nova Tax, £6. 13s. 4d.; in 1707, the Curacy was valued at £12; and in 1818, at £97 per annum *4.
Augmented in 1757, with £200; in 1787, with £200; in 1810, with £200' from the Parliamentary Grant, and in 1813, with £1,200 from the same Grant -all by lot; and in 1833, with £200 from the Parliamentary Grant, to meet benefaction of £200 from the Vice Chancellor and Delegates of Estates in Oxford.
" The tithes of the greatest part of this parish were given by Sir John Danvers for the maintenance of a physic garden, at Oxford. The other tithes are impropriated. The Church is not endowed with any tithes. The University allows £10 per annum to the Minister, who has also a little house and a close worth two pounds." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 1057.
Inclosure Acts were passed 46th and 54th Geo. III.
No glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1579 ; defective 1652, 1687-1699, 1755-1763. -But Vide transcripts at York.
A house of Crutched Friars was commenced in the park of Sir Amald de Percy in this parish, about A.D. 1312.
John Ellerton's rent charge of 20s. per annum. George Pearson's rent charge of 10s. per annum. Ralph Richardson's rent charge, of 10s. per annum. Robert Shepherd's charity, interest of £20. John Dodsworth's charity, by will, in 1815: dividends on £100. Navy Fives, (for poor housekeepers). Ann Dixon's charity, in 1816, interest of £5. The yearly amount of these Charities is distributed by the Minister and churchwardens, with a preference to such as endeavour to subsist without parochial relief. -Vide 7th Report, page 753.
Post town: Kirkby Moorside.
Torre's MS. (Peculiars). Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 88. Nonae Rolla, page 240. East-mead's Rievallensis, page 148. Young's Whitby, page 741. Archaelogia, vol. v. page 185, (Saxon Inscriptions). Mon. Angl., vol. vi. page 1587.
*1 Nawton and Wombleton are partly within the liberty of St. Peter, of York, and considered as of the peculiar jurisdiction of the Prebendary of Stillington.
*2 Viz. Beadlam, 151; Muscoates, 62 ; Nawton, 337 ; Nawton with Wombleton, 220; North Holme, 21; Skiplam, 124; Welburn, 112; Wombleton, 262. In 1834, the Population was returned at 1,231. The area of Bransdale West Side includes that of the townships of Skiplam and Welburn; on the other hand, the return of Skiplam includes the Population of Bransdale West Side. The appearance of a duplicate return of the townships of Nawton and Wombleton arises from part of those townships being within the jurisdiction of St. Peter, of York, and was heretofore entered in that liberty. East Ness, previous to the last return, was entered as part of Stonegrave parish.
*3 Of which 80 free sittings have been obtained under a grant of £30 from the Society for enlarging Churches.
*4 " The lands called Flintofts and Stampers, in this parish, were formerly parcel of the possessions of the Monastery of Rivaulx, and are tithe free. -Whitehead v. Flintoft." 2 Wood, page 462.