Area, 8,030 acres. Langbarugh liberty, E.D. -Population, 1,074 *2; Church-room, 500 *3; Net value, £88. -This Church was an ancient Rectory, belonging to the patronage of the Thwings, of Kilton, from whom it came to the Nevilles, Earls of Westmoreland, till it was given by Ralph Neville, Earl of Westmoreland, to the College of Staindrop, to which it was appropriated, and a Vicarage ordained therein, 18th December 1412.
At the Dissolution, the patronage came to the Crown, and from it to the Bellasises, in the time of Queen Elizabeth, and, since 1675, the patronage came to the Turners, baronets.
Present patron and impropriator, Henry Vansittart, Esq.
In A.D. 1248, at the request of Sir Thomas de Thwing, Rector and patron of the Church, a Chantry was ordained in it, to consist of twelve Chaplains and four Clerks, to be under the government of the Rector, and to say such and such masses every day : they were to live together in the mansion of the Rectory, and to eat at the Rector's table, and to receive of him 20s. per annum, and a robe of six ells of cloth, of the price of a mark at least, and twelve quarters of sea coal amongst them, and twenty pounds of candles of Paris ; and from All Saints to Candlemas, to have two flagons of the best ale allowed them every night to drink in their chambers, &c.
Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £80; Nova Tax, £53; in the King's books, the Vicarage is valued at £13. 6s. 8d, ; and in 1818, at £50 per annum *4.
Augmented in 1806, with £200; and in 1815, with £1,200 from the Parliamentary grant-both by lot.
An Inclosure Act was passed 33rd Geo. II. (East Coatham.)
21st July 1756, faculty granted to rebuild the Church.
The Glebe House is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1559. Deficient in 1732. -Vide transcripts at York.
Mr. Graves gives a catalogue of the Vicars of Kirkleatham, being a continuation of that given by Torre.
Hospital and School. Originally founded by Sir William Turner, in the 2nd Car. II., and subsequently regulated by an Act of Parliament 31st Geo. II. The hospital is for ten aged poor men, ten aged poor women, ten poor boys, and ten poor girls ; and for the celebration of divine service therein. The children are educated under the separate care of a master and mistress, and instructed in reading, writing, accounts, and psalmistry ; and the girls in household work. The poor persons admitted are required to be single, and sixty-three years of age ; the children are required to be eight years old and they continue at school, the boys until they arrive at the age of fifteen, the girls of sixteen. Prayers are read in the Chapel by the Chaplain on Wednesdays and Fridays.
The hospital contains a Chapel, library, and school-room, and apartments for a Chaplain, surgeon, and nurse. £5 is given to each child on, leaving the hospital.
The income of the hospital arising from the rent of 1,769A. 3a. 13s. of land, part of which is wood land, the Manors of Barwick-upon-Tees, and Hutton juxta Rudby, fisheries, quarries, &c. was computed by the Commissioners at £1,576. 17s. per annum, subject to allowances to the tenants. The fixed payments are as follows :-
£. s. d.
Stipends to the old persons, being a provision for breakfast and supper, and for other expenses, to the Brethren £9, and to the Sisters £8 each . . . 170 0 0
Chaplain's stipend 25 0 0
Surgeon's do. 50 0 0
Schoolmaster and School-mistress 45 0 0
Nurse . . 15 0 0
Organist 31 10 0
Receiver's salary 42 0 0
Schoolmaster for dinners for the Brethren, and boarding and washing for the Boys 297 1 0
School-mistress the like for the Sisters and Girls 297 1 0
The fluctuating expenses are for coals, clothing for the brethren, sisters, and children, wages, repairs, taxes, insurance, &c. The Commissioners reported that the affairs of the hospital appeared to have been carefully and satisfactorily administered.
The income of the school arises from the rent of 553a. 2r. 23p. of land, amounting at the time of the report to £350 per annum. The rules require that the master and usher be skilled and expert in the Latin and Greek languages, and that before appointment, the former shall have taken the degree of Master of Arts, the latter of Bachelor of Arts ; that no boy be admitted but such as are first well instructed in English, and that poor scholars shall be taught without fee or reward in all things as the rest of the scholars.
There is a large building near the hospital built for a school-house, containing accommodations for a master, usher, and numerous boarders ; the building, at the time of the Report, was occupied by poor persons rent free, placed therein by Mr. Vansittart.
The free school, say the Commissioners, has long ceased to exist, and though a master and usher have all along been regularly appointed and received the respective yearly stipends of £100 and £50, they have not performed, or been required to perform any duties as 'belonging to such offices.'
Mr. Vansittart and Lady Turner have for some years paid a salary of £35 to the master, and £12. 12s. to the mistress of a school at Coatham, and £29. 5s. to a schoolmaster at Yearby, for instructing poor children, as the best application of part of the surplus that could be devised under existing circumstances.
Turner's rent charge. £14. 1s. per annum, given in 1755, by deed, by Cholmley Turner, Esq., for supplying bread and money to the poor.
Schools at Coatham. The larger school is kept in a house belonging to Mr. Vansittart, and held by the master rent free, and it is supported by the yearly sum of £10 the interest of £100 belonging to the charity, and by an annual allowance of £35, paid out of the revenues of Kirkleatham Free School. The master instructs from forty to fifty free scholars in reading, writing, and arithmetic.
The smaller school is kept by a mistress, for teaching younger children, and the stipend allowed to her is £12. 12s. a year, paid out of the revenues of Kirkleatham Free School.
School at Yearby. This is kept in a house held rent free under Mr. Vansittart, and is supported by the yearly sum of £29. 5s., paid to the master out of the income of the free school. The master teaches from thirty-five to forty scholars in reading, writing, and arithmetic.
All these schools are under the patronage and superintendence of Lady Turner. -Vide 8th Report, page 734.
Post Town, Guisbrough.
Torre's MS., page 59. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 148. Mon. Angl., vol. vi. page 1401. Nonae Rolls, page 232. Burton's Monasticon, page 349. Valor Eccl., vol. iii. page 90. Tanner's Notitia, page 117. Graves's Cleveland, page 389. Hutton's Coatham.
*1 Called in the old records Lythum or La-thunum.
*2 Viz. Kirkleatham, 663; Wilton, 411. A decrease in Population since 1821 of 140 persons, attributed to the depreciated state of alum works, and to emigration to America.
*3 In 1834, returned at 622.
*4 The Valor Ecc. specifies the stipend from Staindrop and House, page 90. col. 1. Tanner refers to the appropriation of this Church. -Not. Monast. ed. 1744, p. 117. col. 2.