Area, 4 ,560 acres. Langbarugh Liberty, W. D. -Population, 517 *2; Church-room, 350; Net value, £63. This Church was given to the Prior and Convent of Guisbrough, by Robert de Brus. Adam de Brus afterwards gave this Church and Yarm to the Canons of Thornton-upon-Humber, upon which a contest arose between the two houses, which was settled in 1161, before commissioners appointed by Pope Celestine III., when the Canons of Thornton relinquished all claims to this Church. No Vicarage was ordained therein *3.
The patronage is in the Archbishop of York, it having been given, with the impropriation, to the See by King Henry VIII. in exchange.
Mr. Graves gives a close catalogue of the Curates, and some account of the income of the Curacy.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation at £20; Nova Tax, £13. 6s. 8d.; in 1707, the Curacy was certified at £21. 5s.; and in 1818, at £30 per annum.
Augmented in 1801, with £200; and in 1816, with £1,400 from the Parliamentary grant, -both by lot.
No glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1734. -Vide earlier transcripts at York.
William Hall's charity, by will, dated 3rd March 1692. Rent of two cottages, and a garth adjoining of about one acre. -The rents are distributed half yearly among the poor. -Vide 7th Report, page 722.
Post town: Yarm.
Torre's MS., page 176. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 136. Nonae Rolls, page 237. Graves's Cleveland, page 85. Mon. Angl., vol. vi. page 267. Burton's Monasticon, page 348. Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii.
*1 This town was burnt by the Scots in the 13th Edward II. Mr. Graves gives a view of a curious earth-work called the Castle Hill.
*2 In 1834, the Population was returned at 516 ; viz. Castle Levington, 45 ; Kirk Leving. ton, 222 ; Pickton, 86 ; Low Worsall, 164. A decrease of 120 since 1821, attributed to the depressed state of agriculture.
*3 For the value of the appropriation, vide Valor Ecc. vol. iii. page 91.