GENUKI Home page    Kirklington Kirklington  

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: KIRKLINGTON.     Church dedication: ST. MARY.     Church type: Rectory in charge.

Area, 3,800 acres. Hallikeld wapentake. -Population, 486 *1; Church-room, 300; Net value, 1,034. -The Church is an ancient Rectory, formerly in the patronage of the family of the Musters.

Present patron, the Hon. C. B. Wandesford.

Valued in the King's Books, at 25. 7s. 31d.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1568 ; deficient 1579-1596.

Charities:
Poor's land. Eighteen acres, bought in 1732, with sundry charity monies, to which the then Rector, the Rev. John Wandesford, added 50.

KIRKLINGTON TOWNSHIP.

Richard Stoney's gift, by will, 13th December 1718. Rent of four acres.

TOWNSHIPS OF SUTTON, HOWGRAVE AND EAST TANFIELD.

Philip Bendome's gift. Rent of three small tenements and garth.

Mary Wandesford's gift, by will, 4th November 1725. 20s. for teaching two poor children to read and say their Catechism. -Vide 4th Report, page 407.


References:
Torre's MS., page 1597. Nonae Roll, page 237. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Cherdinton), page 115. Whitaker's Richmondshire, vol. ii. page 139. Bodleian MSS., page 5101.


Notes:
*1 Viz. Howgrave, 25 ; Kirklington with Upsland, 305 ; Sutton, 121 ; East Tanfield, 35.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. 2013.


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014